Go back into education or stay SAHM? Career or family?

(5 Posts)
Firstmum24 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:17:49

Will try and make this short and sweet. I am looking for advice, perhaps your own experiences to help think over my decision.

I am 24yo mum of a 18wo baby girl.
DH works 60hrs a week unsociable hours.

I have been considering for a couple of years going back to uni to do a PGDE in Secondary Education and decided that I really do want to do it.

Therein lies the problem. I have always wanted 2-3 children as does DH. At the start of term time DD will be 10mo.
Due to childcare costs and lack of funds for it I will have to do the course part time, which is an available option at the uni, as DH will be able to take two weekdays off to care for DD. This means the PGDE will take 2 years to complete, I will then have a probationary year (full time) and then I am on my todd to secure a full time, hopefully permanent job. I would like to have established myself in my job for at least a year before going off on maternity to have next DC.

I am torn between starting in Aug 16' or TTC later this year and have next bambino and possibly start PGDE in Aug 17 or 18. If I were to start at a later date then I would go back to work part time in my current dull and mindless job to save up some more funds for the coming years I would be studying.

It is important to state that I would be qualifying as a business studies teacher therefor my current business qualification may become 'dated' in a few years given the nature of progression in todays modern businesses.

I am so over the saying that a woman can't 'have it all' but I'm beginning to realise her choices are hard for the ski or herself and her family.

Any of your feedback/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

x

Firstmum24 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:18:28

sake* not ski blush

Needmorewine Mon 07-Mar-16 10:23:22

If I were you I would do the PGDE in August this year, get yourself working and established before TTC No.2. It's great your DH can take days off to have your DD - you don't want to wait and find this option isn't available in a few years and you then have to try and fund 2 DC in childcare?

I'm doing my PGCE part time too (in England) and have a three year old. It's hard work but I love it and being able to use my brain and can't wait to start earning again. For me babies can wait grin but obviously it's a very personal decision.

Firstmum24 Tue 08-Mar-16 17:37:44

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback! I have applied and waiting to hear back.

Fantastic that you are doing a PGDE part time and still have time for your 3yo. Well done you! i just needed someone to say that it is possible! Best of luck in your studies - it won't be long until you are earning again. and hopefully me too! I'm really looking forward to being able to engage my brain again too!!

x

Needmorewine Tue 08-Mar-16 18:04:36

You can do it !! You will probably find lots of people in a similar situation on your course, everyone is very supportive on mine. Good luck with it all flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now