starting!

(9 Posts)
weegiemum Tue 02-Feb-16 17:52:48

i got my acceptance, plus work to start, for my theology masters today!

eeeeeek!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 02-Feb-16 23:42:49

Ooh congratulations! (Also that is terrifying!)

I've literally just had an offer in from Uni so starting at the very bottom but want to be in your shoes in a few years. Will follow with interest!

weegiemum Wed 03-Feb-16 08:28:41

Well done troll! What are you studying?

My induction/winter school (I'm doing it distance learning) is at the end of feb and I have a lot of reading to do before then. I love the subject and am very excited to get going with it.

You're right though, its terrifying. Its 7 years since my theology degree (my 2nd undergrad!) and I'm hoping my brain is still working.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 03-Feb-16 08:40:10

History/Geography grin

Massively impressed at the distance learning. I definitely would struggle- sounds like you've got it wrapped up though!

Book shopping then?

weegiemum Wed 03-Feb-16 09:23:04

My first degree was Geography! I went on to be a geog teacher before I gave it all up to be a theologian.

I have to do distance as I'm disabled and with 3 teenagers its more practical. Also the course I wanted was only available a long way away. I'm quite disciplined though. Dh and I did the theology degree together so though he's working I will have someone to talk it through with.

Book shopping. And stationery! I need pens and highlighters and post-its and folders ...............

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 03-Feb-16 17:56:37

I didn't think that I was as into Geography as I am now...! (Mature learner via access course) Geography was a dull subject in school but really doesn't have to be!

Aww that's lovely that you and DP did it together. Such romance wink

Book and stationery shopping= two of my favourite things!!!!

weegiemum Wed 03-Feb-16 22:54:47

We both got advanced entry into the second year of the theology course so did it in 2 years. I inherited money so we took a "sabbatical" and studied something we were both interested in. Dh is a GP so locumed to keep us afloat.

Geography is fascinating. I'm more of a social geographer but what I value most now is my ability to "read" a landscape - see the geological processes, ongoing processes, human input .... I didn't even realise I did it until I explained some stuff to dh on a car journey once and realised he just didn't see what I saw. Its a great skill to cultivate and I'm pretty sure I've passed it on to my dc, they love to point out soil creep and glacial erratics! Plus they can all read an OS map and have been doing so since they learned to read a book. They're teenagers now and I think I've got over dd1 choosing history ..........

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 04-Feb-16 17:39:28

Hahahaha, it's a slippery slope between history and geography though as one tends to inform the other.

It's the social geography that I like too, but the physical creeps in. I bored my entire family coming through Argyle and the Trossachs at Hogmany... I'm sure all that they heard was "Blah blah Frost Action....blah.."

Our children don't know how lucky they are!

How long do you think your Masters will take?

weegiemum Wed 24-Feb-16 23:21:48

I've just finished my first residential course today - 3 incredibly intense days of 9-9 tutorials (well, we finished at 6 tonight) and I loved every last minute of it.

I have so much to go away and think about, both for my assignment (research project) but also in the context in which I work (my masters is in Urban Mission and I live and work in an urban priority area in Glasgow, my work being with my church anti-poverty project).

I just feel so inspired to go out and start to apply what I've learned already, to read all the fantastic stuff I've been recommended, to watch endless YouTubes of sermons/talks on my subject.

And I'm not too scared by the assignment either, though it's going to be something new. I'm so glad I'm doing this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now