Student nurse and pregnant

(3 Posts)
Nursenicola Sat 26-Sep-15 08:06:30

Hi.. so I'm a student nurse just this week beginning my 2nd year at leeds uni. I did a pregnancy test last night and turns out I'm about 3 weeks gone. My partner and I have been together 9 year and share a rented house in sheffield, I commute to uni so things are tight living off his low income wage and my bursery. However we are really excited and feel ready to become parents as we are both now 26. However we are not financially stable and this scares us both. My partner wants to change career he is currently a HLTA but wants a career he can progress in and potential earn more money. He knows this wouldn't be possible for a while now but worry as he believes he should own his owe home or be on the way to by this age. He works extremely hard and is far too harsh on himself, I believe he compare himself to our friends who all appear to be financially better off.
Has anyone been or is currently in a similar position? Any advice around how being pregnant will effect my course and financial support would be a massive help.
Thanks in advance. Nicola

Caipoja Mon 19-Oct-15 16:21:10

Hi. Congratulations to both of you! I am a student nurse currently on maternity leave, you will continue to recieve your bursary for a year if you choose to take that long out. I found I spent the most money before baby arrived on one off purchases, like the crib, pram, car seat, nursery decor, toys etc but honestly young babies don't actually need a lot. The costs of the one of purchases can be reduced aswell I got dd's bouncer off ebay. All the clothes I bought for dd were in a sale. Family bought a lot for her when I was pregnant too. I love george asda they have lovely baby clothes at a reasonable price. Once dd was born my monthly outgoings have only changed to account for nappies, and clothes, as I am breastfeeding. I bought the nappies in bulk during baby events to make it cheaper. Terry towelling nappies could be another option if money is tight as they can be washed and reused. I found it a lot easier to start buying for dd throughout pregnancy rather than waiting closer to the due date, especially for the bigger purchases. I would save what I could each month and pick one thing to buy like the crib and pram using what i had saved over the previous couple of months. Also, nhs bursaries pay a childcare allowance of up to 85% of your childcare costs if you choose to use childcare when you return from maternity leave x

stairway Sun 27-Dec-15 18:44:45

Hi.. I'm also a student nurse on maternity leave grin
Don't worry they won't chuck you out!
I still get my bursary and will be going back in the summer hopefully.
I'm hoping my mum and mil will help out with childcare. If not the hospital has a nursery.
My
advice would be try and save while on maternity leave. Maybe get sine evening weekend work while your partner's at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now