Distance learning Part time PGCE - does it still exist?

(12 Posts)
ErnesttheBavarian Sat 12-Sep-15 08:54:49

The OU seems to have discontinued it and I'm finding it hard to track it down.

Does anyone know if and where it's still possible?

Has anyone done this, and if so, how much time really did it take (not just course duration, but realistically, how much time per week did you have to put in, and was it manageable round family?)

noblegiraffe Sat 12-Sep-15 08:57:55

Sorry, I don't know anything about that particular course, but if you are looking for a course that will be manageable around your family then teaching probably isn't for you at this point in time.

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 12-Sep-15 09:09:45

That school I currently work at is perfect with family and totally manageable, problem is my PGCE is wrong (secondary) and if I want to teach (primary) (currently TAing) I'll need to redo my PGCE. I'd be prepared to have the hassle for a couple of years if it is workable.

lougle Sat 12-Sep-15 09:42:44

You have no need to redo your PGCE to change phase - QTS is QTS.http://www.tesfaq.co.uk/applications

You just need to build up primary experience and apply for jobs!

lougle Sat 12-Sep-15 09:43:20

www.tesfaq.co.uk/applications

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 12-Sep-15 09:46:51

unfortunately not to work in Germany. I have now plenty of primary experience. However, without a paper qualification proving that I have studied and learnt all about primary teaching I cannot get legal approval to teach in Primary in Germany.

Thanks for the link though.

noblegiraffe Sat 12-Sep-15 10:02:02

Do they have something like the PGCE in Germany? It would seem odd to do an English qualification when you're in Germany.

lougle Sat 12-Sep-15 10:44:30

Oh I see.

lougle Sat 12-Sep-15 10:45:41

Northumbria do it.

lougle Sat 12-Sep-15 10:48:24

Sunderland do a PGCE specifically for people who are overseas.

lougle Sat 12-Sep-15 10:54:11

Even the PGCEi offered by Nottingham may be OK -it doesn't confer QTS but as you already have QTS it would demonstrate your understanding which is what you're lacking.

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 12-Sep-15 11:45:05

noblegiraffe,you're right of course. Unfortunately the German equivalent is 4 years FT, jumping naked through fiery hoops backwards whilst reciting all the course books word for word. Or something like that. It's super super difficult, even for Germans, so in German and 4 years and FT it's just not at all an option for me.

Thanks for your help and the links lougle. I saw Sunderland, but discounted it as I read it was FT, but will call Sunderland on Monday and see what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now