failed final midwifery exam again. what next? advice please

(4 Posts)
blackplasticspoon Wed 16-Jul-14 06:49:22

I have been studying for a degree in midwifery, and, after a bit of a ropey 3rd year (unsupportive mentor, meaning I had to retake the placement), I had got to the point where all I needed to do was pass my final exam. I failed it first time round (awful 40min oral exam), did even worse at second attempt, then re-sat 3rd yr again, and have now had 2 further attempts, and failed again. I had a complete meltdown at my last attempt and my hands shook violently throughout the exam. So failing it wasn't a massive surprise, but I'm still devastated. I don't think I have the option to retake the exam again, but am finding it very difficult to find out what my options are. As it stands, I think all I will have to show for 5 years of bloody hard work and determination at uni is a lousy certificate in higher ed. I feel I have let myself and my family down. I wanted to be a good example for my children, and to be a part of the most fantastic profession, and now i have nothing. I have no idea what happens now, or whether I can even salvage anything from this mess. Does anyone have any advice on what my options are? Thanks. Sorry that was a bit long and rambling

Madsometimes Fri 25-Jul-14 16:49:51

I don't have any specific advice because I am unfamiliar with midwifery, but I didn't want to leave your post unanswered. I would be devastated if I was in a similar situation, so have some unMNetty Hugs from me.

Have your uni told you that you will definitely not be able to resit? Is it the academic exam papers or clinical skills that have let you down? If there is any way that you could find out what has gone wrong and address your weaknesses then I would.

If it really is the end, then hold your head up high in the knowledge that you tried. As women, we can be very risk adverse because of fear of failure. But actually even when things don't work out, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't have tried. Just put it down to experience, take some time out to replan your career, and see what direction it leads you in.

The fact that you have tried means that you are a good role model to your children. In fact, resilience is one of the key strengths that we can pass to our children. If they see your resilience then they will gain from this.

But I know it's really tough for you.

goingloombandcrazy Fri 01-Aug-14 13:31:50

Big hugs. Did you get it sorted?

AnthonyPandy Thu 30-Jul-15 12:19:38

I know this was over a year ago, but what happened OP? Have you had any resolution to this? I second what Madsometimes says, that you tried your absolute best and that shows great determination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now