ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Access to Nursing Course

(11 Posts)
Blushingm Sun 23-Feb-14 15:01:16

Hi - has anyone done this access course? I've got the 2nd part of my college interview for this in 10 days and I'm quieting driving myself mad.

I desperately want to go to uni and do adult nursing but as my a levels are old ive been told I'll need to do the access course

I was wondering how anyone found doing the access course whilst working and having dc. What sort if thinks did you have to do. And did anyone not get accepted to their first choice uni?

Thanks!!!!

Avacathar Sun 23-Feb-14 15:08:25

hi, I haven't done it personally, but my cousin did alongside 3 kids, getting married and working part-time, she is now doing her adult nursing degree smile. I do the social science access course and am happy to say I have a place at uni for Sept, I work 2 days college 2 and have a little girl, being on my own I didn't think I would be able to do it. Yeh it gets a bit tedious giving up nights out to stay in and study...just think in less than a years time you'll get into uni to do what you want! The college will make out it is intense, and for the first few weeks learning new stuff it is, once you start to get into it it will become easier for you. I've don't my A levels as well and I can assure you if you could do your A levels you can do access, the first skill you will learn is to prioritise! think of your end goal!

Fizzyfuzzy123 Sun 23-Feb-14 15:14:59

Watching with interest too as in hoping to do this in September too just waiting for my interview x

Blushingm Sun 23-Feb-14 15:37:08

Thanks Ava - at the first part of the interview they made out it was incredibly intense, how lots of people drop out etc and how they don't recommend working as well as doing the course - I have no choice but to work!!

Fuzzy - is your interview in 2 parts as well? 1st part was assessments but the 2nd part is 1 to 1 and I have to convince them to accept me!!!!

crashbangboom Sun 23-Feb-14 15:42:58

The access course was easy in comparison to degree/placements (social work)

Our access course we were encouraged to work paid or voluntarily to gain experience for UCAS.

Most worked in other jobs too.

All good experience in balancing work/family/study.

Blushingm Sun 23-Feb-14 19:53:18

Im trying to get as much as I can to go in my personal statement. I've just done my PADs course and I'm going to do the first responder course and I've got an appointment to try and arrange to help out in the care home in the village to get some caring experience .............

Somanyillustrations Mon 24-Feb-14 07:08:47

Hiya I did access to health last year, and am now in my first year of a radiography degree. I was accepted to all the unis I applied for.

I found it a great learning curve for uni, as it gets progressively harder towards the end of the year. I managed to balance college/ 2 year old/ part time work with no real problem. Didn't find the work academically difficult, but the work load is heavy!

I had to gain work experience alongside the course, but was provided with time off to do so.

FWIW, I'm now 34 weeks pregnant, and finding that the first year of uni is pretty easy as long as you are organised. Sure that access has helped with that more than the academics TBH.

Good luck thanks

Fizzyfuzzy123 Mon 24-Feb-14 07:52:37

I'm not sure to be honest about the interview as I couldn't make the first date they had given me

salemsparklys Tue 25-Feb-14 11:14:15

I have done Access to Nursing, done differently here that you get your Uni interview at the same time and if you pass the access you get a place at Uni, sadly I had to drop out of uni at the end of 1st year but I am looking to go back.
Access was pretty good, it pushed you back into study and I never felt out of my comfort zone.

swooosh Thu 29-May-14 21:29:34

Hi is anyone else doing an Access course this year? I am doing Access Life Sciences this year, I had my interview and got accepted on the spot. I want to do my ODP training afterwards.

Ghirly Sun 08-Jun-14 13:02:21

I've just finished an access course this week. I'm starting university in September.

I agree with a pp who said the work is not academically challenging but the workload is very heavy.

I finished my exams 10 days ago and I'm still struggling to adjust to having free time!

Good luck to anyone starting an access course this year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now