He's in a BEng, I'm in an MSc!!

(8 Posts)
BluBunny Mon 03-Feb-14 17:04:52

Hiya, new member here. Bit of background, we're both young parents - I'm 22 and he's 19 and we're both at uni. He's in his second year of an undergrad and I've just started a Masters.

Bump is due in June, slap bang in the middle of my second semester and the start of his year out in industry. I'm just looking for some reassurance that we aren't the only crazy ones in the world to put ourselves through this, and the baby will cope with all this manic living??

takingthathometomomma Mon 03-Feb-14 17:10:36

You can do this! DP and I were (are) young parents, so young in fact that we were both studying at sixth form/college when DD was born slap bang in the middle of the year. I'm also 22, DD is five now and DP and I are both still studying as post-graduates, and it's bloody hard work, but perfectly doable.

You're not the only crazy ones (although your life will become a lot crazier) and your baby will cope just fine. You can do this!

Good luck with it all!

BluBunny Mon 03-Feb-14 22:26:44

Thank you so much!

Nightwish Fri 07-Feb-14 14:32:13

It is possible.
I am 22 as well, what are the chances ;P.
DS1 was 2 when I started uni.
I was pregnant during most of my second year and started third year with 6 week old DS2. DP also went back to college at the same time.
As taking said, it is very hard work but worth it!
And yes... I am crazy but the kids seem alright. Haha.

enormouse Fri 07-Feb-14 14:40:19

Dp wants to do his master's this sept and I want to go back to do BSc the year after. Currently have a 2 year old and a newborn. I was studying for an access part time and doing essays etc pretty much right up to the arrival of DS2 (last week!). I got a first and a 2.1 in the two essays I submitted at 39 weeks.

Hope to go back when DS2 is around 4/5 months

Franksmummy Tue 01-Apr-14 21:59:47

We're all definitely crazy but yes definitely do-able! I started my undergrad at 22 with a 3week old and it is tough (I lived off 3/4 hrs sleep for about 6months) but you do get used to it - sort of haha.

The hardest thing is missing them so much, I would literally run to go pick him up for the first year but after a long summer I couldn't wait to get back and it got easier.

I don't know if you are thinking of breast feeding but for me that was the most draining aspect and is tricky. If you can talk to your uni about a private room for pumping (you are legally entitled to this) - I was never brave enough to do it which meant a lot of sore boobs and wet tops!

Franksmummy Tue 01-Apr-14 22:05:37

Also I don't know your funding situation but I think that in order for your OH to get the extra help you probably need from SFE (incl. childcare grants etc) then he'll have to be the one to apply for tax credits as this is what they accept as evidence, good luck!

alita7 Thu 03-Apr-14 11:41:24

you can take time out If you need to! don't feel it's something you can't do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now