Anyone at Uni whilst their dc are there? Ideas about finances?

(8 Posts)
OodlesofOodles Wed 22-Jan-14 07:36:18

Just worked out that dd1 could be at Uni in 4 years, so if I end up taking more than 4 years to get there we would overlap.
It's likely we would as I'd need an access course or something due to career change and most recent qualification being in 2010.

OodlesofOodles Wed 22-Jan-14 07:37:43

I can't go unless I'm getting enough money from somewhere so currently looking into courses with bursarys etc if you've any ideas.

OodlesofOodles Wed 22-Jan-14 13:16:03

Bump

Ghirly Thu 23-Jan-14 00:08:35

I'll be at Uni the same time as my son. He is in 1st year and I'm in the middle of an access course so we will be together at Uni for 3 years.

I'm in Scotland. Are you?

OodlesofOodles Thu 23-Jan-14 09:34:45

England. Think that probably makes a difference financially.

Today's realisation is if I wait 2 more years ill overlap dd1/2. <eek>

Ghirly Fri 24-Jan-14 04:25:55

Ah I'm not sure how finances work in England.
I know I'll get my course fees paid, I'll get help with childcare for my 3 year old and I'll just keep living off my income support and maintenance... It's not easy but will be worth it in the end.

It's a scary (and weird) thought being at Uni with my son! I've even applied to the same one as him!

Franksmummy Tue 01-Apr-14 21:19:38

Unless you have previously attended university you'll receive the same funding as anyone else, if you have children in the home you will receive a considerable amount extra. It will all depend how much your OH earns (if you have one) if you are a LP with no other income you should get circa 10k plus fees paid and still be entitled to many benefits.
Should not effect your dd's entitlement negatively, good luck smile

allmixedupreally Wed 23-Apr-14 08:00:16

Hi I am at uni in my 2nd yr and my eldest is in his first (different uni). U am a lone parent with a doc in primary too. I also decided on a career change. As a lobe parent finances are manageable but it does fell like the eeuivslrnt if being on benefits anyway , as you loose other benefits as your student loan is classed as income. For me though I enjoy the course it feels overwhelming as I dont have any family support so other than school and ofsted registered child care I am on my own! PM me if any specific qstns and good luck if you decide to go ahead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now