Software for organising electronic journal articles

(7 Posts)
LowLevelWhinging Mon 20-Jan-14 17:01:09

I don't even know if this exists, but I'm after some way of organising pdf journal articles.

I currently print everything off and scribble over it, but I'm wondering if there's a way of working with electronic articles that would let me organise and make notes on them.

anyone know of anything?

dotty2 Fri 24-Jan-14 11:09:53

I think that both Refworks and Endnotes have the facility to add notes, but it might just be in a box rather than 'scribble all over them', so might not work for you. I haven't used them myself, but you could see which your uni supports?

LowLevelWhinging Sat 25-Jan-14 10:12:40

thank you dotty. I've been using Endnote for a few years now and I know there's more it can do, but it's not the most intuitive piece of software!

I'll have to set some time aside to explore its full potential.

dotty2 Sat 25-Jan-14 11:59:38

Mmm, I know - I went on the training, downloaded it to my computer, tried to use it once or twice, and then gave up. Now I've nearly finished writing my PhD and have to compile my bibliography, I wish I'd persevered though!

TheWanderingUterus Sun 26-Jan-14 13:58:37

The GoodReader app has the option to annotate PDF papers. Obviously that's only helpful if you have a tablet!

Lots of people have recommended Mendeley to me, but I don't know if they have the annotate option.

tanyatwo Sun 26-Jan-14 22:49:02

I don't know of any software, but you can just save your PDF files into a folder and give the folder a title, for example, I have files in a "Dissertation" title.

Also I can highlight on PDF and make extra notes on what I have highlighted. If you open a PDF, you will see a yellow box with a T in it. That's the text highlighter. The icon to the left of it is where you would add a note to what you've highlighted.

Is that what you wanted to do, or have I got it wrong?

Tanya

TinyDiamond Sun 26-Jan-14 22:55:59

Look at evernote. that will certainly let you organise it all. Not sure if you csn directly type onto docs but I think you might be able to.

There is another one called annotate that the OU encourage everyone to use. Not sure if anyone can download it but it is exactly what you describe. Has 5 different colours to use for your notes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now