anyone else doing a full time FE Course whilst on maternity leave

(1 Post)
maternitymum Fri 27-Dec-13 10:14:40

I have recently started a full time FE course. I am on maternity leave but was laid off three weeks in to my leave. The small college have never had anyone on maternity leave attend a course and have very little accurate information regarding funding sources (I recieve smp) whilst I study. I was assured I would recieve a bursary but now 12 weeks into the course they say im not entitled to recieve one!! because I am getting smp. I think they class smp as a benefit? but I earned my 'benefit' as I worked my whole life before my pregnancy (im 28) or I would only recieve MA which I would class as a benefit as it is for women who dont work. I am considering leaving the course but have worked really hard for 3 months with a young baby, getting childcare, completing assesments and passing tests. I am not even entitled to travel expenses, what funds can I apply for? anyone who can help??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now