Help - is it possible to write 2500 words today [sad]

(42 Posts)
biggertentplease Thu 19-Dec-13 13:45:40

would also have added a [tired] emoticon if i could have done.

I got an extension for an esssay last week. MA in Health. I have been ill as have children this week and now I am sat here with 50 words done and it has to be in by 2pm tomorrow. Although I have to get it in by 11am tomorrow as youngest child has doctors appointment at 12:30 tomorrow and would not be able to get to both places. I also have to take children to carol concert tonight (cant miss as oldest is singing solo) so that will mean i am out from 630 until about 830/9.

Dont know what I am asking really - maybe just words of hope wink

Puffykins Thu 19-Dec-13 13:47:27

Yes it's possible - totally do-able. I'm a journalist and often have to produce that in a tighter timeframe. Just start writing! And good luck.

isthereanynameavailable Thu 19-Dec-13 13:50:47

I sympathise, I'm trying to do 2000 for tomorrow too.

Have you done the reading that is needed? Try not to think about the essay as whole, can you make a couple of headings of the most important points that you want to make? You need 250 or so words for an intro and conclusion and then maybe 4 points of 200 words each.
2500 done!

I'll get off here and do it if you do too ;-)

Rosencrantz Thu 19-Dec-13 13:53:55

I have 1000 to do today. Then everyday until January.

This masters lark is tricky. I feel your pain wine

LydiaLunches Thu 19-Dec-13 14:01:14

Absolutely, I do this often. Have you done the reading? Or the literature search? Is it a wide ranging essay, or an assignment with more of a recognised structure that you could borrow?

If I have only done my literature search, I read fast and type up thoughts as formally as can as I do it, always always do references as I go, and then try and reorganise into a coherent whole. Then do intro and conclusions as a treat at the end. Then sleep!

biggertentplease Thu 19-Dec-13 14:03:00

thank you - such quick responses.

I am pleased to hear I am not alone. I will get on with it (once I have amended my online shopping order).

Will update through the day - and maybe through the night too hmm

LydiaLunches Thu 19-Dec-13 14:04:39

I am in a nice size cohort of about 60 so there is usually a few of us on FB through the night supporting each other, it does help smile

lougle Thu 19-Dec-13 14:06:19

Absolutely doable. My record was 5 hours, including finding the books to reference, reading the books/papers and writing the essay!

JaquelineHyde Thu 19-Dec-13 14:07:32

Good luck Bigger.

I have 10,000 words due by Jan 6th for my MA, I've done nothing so far, not even any reading blush

Lifeasafish Thu 19-Dec-13 14:14:42

Yes you can!

My tips:
1. Proplus, coffee, fizzy drink. I've not done this with children so excuse me if I'm being naive but a night or two's deprivation won't kill.

2. An allnighter. It is surprisingly easy to work at night if you are a. Charged on caffiene and b. have peace and quiet. It's produced some of my best work actually. Classic music on headphones if you have a snore chrous.

3. Hopefully you have done your reading. I would look at the question, make 3/4 points then just write under those headings. Bullet all the way if you have to but once you have say 3/4 arguments then bulleted evidence underneath writing up usually means putting in 'and', 'or' etc. on a 2.5k essay anyway.

4. Don't worry about order, intro's etc. in fact I've always written intros after I've done my bulk (point 3). Get the info/knowledge/argument off your chest and onto paper, then make it into an essay afterwards, by the time you've done point 3 you'll probably be zoned out enough to do it. Obviously point 3 can be started on a phone while on the move.

I hope the above is helpful. Once you are charged up on caffeine you may find you get too tired to sleep tm anyway. A 2.5k essay is what - 5 pages ( .1 font, normalish margins). 10pm until 3am gives you 5 hours and still a little sleep.

You can do it.

NatashaBee Thu 19-Dec-13 14:17:07

Yes, you can do it. Just sit down and start writing, even if it's only note form or slightly rambly. Much better to get everything on paper and refine it down later.

TinyDiamond Thu 19-Dec-13 18:44:02

Hope it is going OK! I did 2200 words last night plus appendices in 5 hours so you can do it!!! Keep going grin good luck

tobiasfunke Thu 19-Dec-13 19:02:10

Totally doable- I basically wrote my PHD in 6 weeks by writing 3000 words a day. Thing is not to think too much about it- just start writing facts down and then sort it out later. Computers are a godsend for the lastminute essay writer.

biggertentplease Thu 19-Dec-13 23:27:10

update - got 1400 done. ended up with few interruptions in the afternoon and then had to cook before we went to carol concert. Children were chatting when we got back and they went to bed and I just went and had 30mins snooze on the bed. Now got strong coffee and determination to get the rest of this completed. I feel much more confident now that I have got words down. This one has been difficult to start which is probably why I have got to this situation.

Thanks for all your words of advice and encouragement.

TinyDiamond Thu 19-Dec-13 23:33:08

you can do it!

NigellasDealer Thu 19-Dec-13 23:34:47

do you need a free proofreader/editor? PM you my website.

NatashaBee Fri 20-Dec-13 01:30:06

Great job! I always find that starting is the hardest part. Once I get something down - however crap - I start to get into a rhythm and refine and improve what I've written.

bananachase Fri 20-Dec-13 01:35:20

Well done OP! I'm up tonight writing up a draft for a 6000 word essay. Although it's not graded and we've been told we don't need to meet the full word count as it's a first draft. But I've got Pro Plus at the ready and I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight either!

TinyDiamond Fri 20-Dec-13 11:00:41

did you manage to get any sleep??

Rosencrantz Tue 24-Dec-13 21:01:13

I need another 1,500 before 3am tonight. Is anybody with me?

AnUnearthlyChild Tue 24-Dec-13 21:05:04

[am soo glad this module was exam only]

Cheering you on from the sidelines

It is totally do -able

Rosencrantz Tue 24-Dec-13 21:12:58

Thank you thanks

Its not the work that's the problem, its that I hate my university!

Rosencrantz Tue 24-Dec-13 21:13:34

*Degree, not university.

Though I'm not a massive fan of the Uni either.

TinyDiamond Tue 24-Dec-13 23:14:21

you can do iiiiiiit!

CalamitouslyWrong Tue 24-Dec-13 23:17:59

How on earth do you have an assignment due (at 3am) on Christmas Day, Rosen?

At my university, extensions are counted in working days. So Christmas Day never counts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now