Financial survival as a full time student and mum

(5 Posts)
MNIP Mon 09-Dec-13 13:28:30

I am considering embarking upon a full time 3 year degree from Sept 14. I have 3 children who will be 9, 11 and 13 and I am wondering how we would survive financially with no income. Working part time wouldn't be an option as I'd have no childcare at weekends/evenings. My course fees will be paid so it is just living expenses we would need. Has anyone managed to do this before?

Monroe Tue 10-Dec-13 09:50:19

No advice but watching with interest. I'm considering a 2 year full time course in 2014. Mine are 3 and 7 so my main concern will be child care costs for before and after school. Dh works shifts and often starts at 5am so can't help

BaileysOnRocks Tue 10-Dec-13 10:00:48

My DH is a FT student, due to graduate in the summer and we have two DC under 3.
He's on an NHS course so he gets a monthly bursary which includes money to support the children.
It's isn't a lot and we have struggled and have debts from this but it will be worth it once he's qualified.

On the plus side, he has had more time at home than he would working FT. Check if you have placements for your course aswell, DH has a few placements a year and this is when we struggle as it costs a lot in terms on petrol and his lunches etc (expenses)

Although we did have the same reservations as you at the beginning I'm so glad he did it.

Good luck!

BaileysOnRocks Tue 10-Dec-13 10:01:42

Monroe - I know NHS courses give you a bursary for childcare fees and I'm sure if not nhs you get a childcare grant.

MNIP Tue 10-Dec-13 11:28:08

Thanks for the advice. Just got to have a think about what to do with him during the school holidays once my course is finished and I go out to work. I work at home at the moment so this hasn't been an issue yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now