Can anyone tell me about student health screening?

(3 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Fri 06-Dec-13 10:39:02

What it is for university place and if you ticked a box on the sheet would they turn you down?

Equimum Mon 09-Dec-13 09:49:08

Not entirely sure what you mean, but probably depends on what you're applying to study. For non-profession/ non-lab based things, the general protocol is that you're asked whether you have a disability or no on the initial application and if you state yes, you are sent separate forms asking for more information. This is kept separate from your application and is for monitoring purposes/ the basis of any request you may make for addition support.

Some courses, however, require occupational health assessments, much like in employment, and the success of your application depends upon being deemed 'fit for the job/ course'.

Saying that, I have a friend who has aspergera who was accepted on to a midwifery course following screening last year, and know of someone who had a previous diagnosis of bipolar who trained as a mental health nurse after this too.

I myself have done a BA, MA and am now working on a PhD. I declared having a mental health problem during the application for each and have each time been offered a meeting with a disability advisor after bring offered a place.

I hope that helps.

xxxxmrsxxxx Tue 07-Jan-14 22:33:41

Occupational health is there to support students, not to "wean them out". On my adult nursing course we had to complete an occ health questionnaire but we didn't actually see them until the first couple of months of actually starting the course. If a student has bad excema/dermatitis for instance, they will ensure that placements either have the correct hand wash or that the student is given a supply to take on placement. They ensure that students are up to date with vaccinations (hep b, etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now