What did you do to strengthen your teacher training application?

(6 Posts)

I am in the first year of my part time degree, so this time in 3 years I will be looking to apply for a TT place.

I want to do secondary history which I know is super competitive, therefore I really need more than just a good degree. If I start now I should have a good deal of experience when it comes to apply.

What things did you do?

Golddigger Thu 28-Nov-13 18:54:37

Would it be a good idea to ask the careers advisor at college or uni?
And posting this on the further education board may get you some more replies.

Morgause Thu 28-Nov-13 18:56:46

Get a holiday job working with teenagers in the summer. Maybe volunteer with a group while you are at uni - youth club or something similar.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 28-Nov-13 18:59:04

When I applied I didn't get a place, they said partly because I didn't have relevant experience. I'd taught 16-18 year olds for a gcse equivalent qualification but not in a school setting. They said to get experience in a secondary setting and a relevant degree

MercuryRising Thu 28-Nov-13 19:27:51

When I was at university they ran a School Associate Scheme, Im not sure if they still run but if they do it could be a good way of gaining experience. Volunteering in school for a period of time each week would also strengthen your application.

EmmaLL25 Wed 15-Jan-14 10:17:55

I've just been interviewed for this.

I would suggest time observing in school(s).
Time taking with history teachers.
Work/volunteering with young people.

Think the time in school most important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now