Can any nursing students please, please help me?

(8 Posts)
OHforDUCKScake Thu 21-Nov-13 19:23:49

I was rejected by uni recently after applying for two degrees, midwifery and child nursing. However, because theybare such different degrees ai was tearing myself in two trying to get across what both recipients wanted to hear in one personal statement.

I called admissions, explained and asked for a second chance. I said Id prefer to do child nursing, so would they let me have another chance and just concentrate my personal statement on that? They said YES.

Ive got a second chance. Fuck. Im so pleased I could have shat.

Anyway, understandably my personal statement is now very different. I KNOW I have the qualitiies, knowledge, life experience and experience that it takes to be a nurse. But telling them that, and proving to them that out of 2000 students, I deserve one of the 40 spaces is hard. Really fucking hard.

Ive been out of academia for nearly 4 years. I know no nurses at all. No one in the medical field and the only knowledge I have on how to write a personal statement and what the expect/want/require is the major internet research that Ive done. But truth be told, all the persnal statements Ive read online seem shit confused.

ive got nothing to go by, can anyone, in any way give me some guidance on my personal statemet if I was to PM it to them?

Please excuse mistakes Ive got a bit of adrenalin rush going on.

Reposting in student section

I've just sent off my ucas application to five unis to study adult nursing. I've done this through college (am on an access course) where we receive guidance on this. I've also been to uni open days and they could not stress enough the importance of getting the personal statement right. They look for keywords (care, compassion, dignity, respect, equality etc) experience, transferable skills and like you to reference the NMC. Many university websites have info about what they like to see in personal statements. I know Liverpool JMU have some good advice on theirs. Best of luck.

jellybeans001 Sun 24-Nov-13 17:47:16

How's it going with the personal statement

OHforDUCKScake Mon 25-Nov-13 11:58:37

It went great. And it looks good.

Except I cant reapply, there was a miscommunication.

As well as that, I was never going to get in. I applied for two degrees, apparently competion is so fierce they automatically reject anyone who has applied for more than one degree because it shows lack of commitment.

jellybeans001 Tue 26-Nov-13 07:30:11

Oh no! so are you going to apply next year then. Have you seen the student midwife website it's quite good. Type it into google and it will show up. I have read somewhere that you shouldn't apply for two different degrees as you have said shows that you're unsure. Anyway good luck next year.

I'd recommend doing an access course and then reapply. not only will it show dedication and willingness to learn but will also give you essential skills for uni. i used it as a stepping stone.

wlv12 Sat 04-Jan-14 20:35:41

Hi, I suggest you go to some uni open days, as you've found out both midwifery and child nursing are competitive to get into, and they are both so different that its worth really looking in to them to decide which one you feel drawn to.

Best of luck

notundermyfoof Mon 06-Jan-14 01:07:14

Ah thats such a shame sad how disappointing for you. You could consider applying for adult nursing as theres a much greater intake so a better chance of getting in and then switch to child nursing during the first year. I know a few people who did it that way but it can be a bit of a gamble as you need someone to drop out of the course to create a place for you to take!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now