How to stop being too much of a perfectionist?

(3 Posts)
MrsFTHC Thu 07-Nov-13 15:43:21

I'm stuying part time and really enjoying it, but I'm struggling so much with assignments. I struggle anyway with anxiety and OCD (although these are pretty good at the moment and not causing me many problems) but I just can't bear the thought of handing in anything that isn't perfect, even though I know it can't be. It's making essay writing a real struggle and I'm getting myself so stressed out about it even though I know it's not really that important. I worry that the tutor will think I am stupid when they read it and I hate the thought of handing anything in. I know it is good to want to do well but this is becoming crippling and actually having an adverse effect on my work. Has anyone had similar and how did you deal with it?

TheWanderingUterus Thu 07-Nov-13 18:49:27

By realising that I couldn't hand in anything that was 'perfect', no matter how hard I tried, its impossible, not least because people's interpretation of perfect are completely different.

My tutor also has a ten year head start in depth of knowledge and writing pieces to this level, so I am never going to be able to equal them.

What they want to see is evidence of understanding, development of knowledge etc.

If you read a lot, think a lot and show evidence of this in your work you are going to do better than worrying yourself stupid and clouding your brain with anxiety ( I do this too, so should learn to take my own advice). If you get stressed, walk away, take a breather, I find I work best and have the best ideas when I am not forcing myself to think and hyperventilating, however much I hate the idea of walking away for a bit. And if you don't do so well on one piece it isn't the end of the world, you can get feedback to help you improve. I have another deadline coming up and I am much more relaxed than I was with my first piece.

MrsFTHC Thu 07-Nov-13 20:30:59

Thanks, it's so hard to do isn't it? I am trying to finish a piece of work and I'm just so cross at myself that I am not managing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now