Applying for postgrad through UCAS

(3 Posts)
Wesdly Wed 23-Oct-13 22:25:47

I'm in the middle of applying and a bit unsure about who to put down as a reference. I have done my degree through the open uni and haven't contacted a tutor in any of the 6 courses I've studied so I am not too keen to put one of them down.

Could I put my current manager in work down? She has no idea of my academic abilities although my work is directly relevant to the postgrad course and previous experience is a requirement.
Thanks

Albienon Thu 24-Oct-13 22:19:29

I think it's generally good to put down whoever can comment best on your course related abilities.. so your current manager would be a good bet.. Much better than getting someone who is a tutor but has no clue who you are!

I had a similar problem when I applied for my undergrad as a mature student. I studied all my a levels through distance learning and had no tutor or anyone to write me a reference.. I gave a work reference who knew about my abilities and what I had been studying.

Also is there a space somewhere (or on the end of a personal statement?) where you can mention to the institutions why you've picked them as a referee. Might be an idea as sometimes they like to know if it's not an academic one.

Hope that helps!

Joy5 Sun 27-Oct-13 21:12:27

I've just started an MA at uni, i didn't have an academic reference either.

I studied for my degree sixteen years ago, with the OU so too long to ask for one.

Didn't seem to matter i put my work reference down, they wasn't even asked for one!

Seemed to get my place on my personal statement and interview alone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now