Help me pick a supervisor, please, pretty please

(8 Posts)
CircassianLeyla Fri 11-Oct-13 14:15:42

History degree dissertation dealing with women, mental health, poverty and related issues.

Supervisor 1:
Famous Professor
Current teacher, very good, we like each other
She is in demand
She took 2 weeks to answer my email enquiry (I include this fact for comparative purposes only)
Her research is from my period, my region but not my specific area of interest
She has seen my proposal and is happy to supervise

Supervisor 2:
Fascinating work dealing with women in my period and region but different in focus
Have been in her lectures and she is equally awesome
Answered my email within about 15 minutes acknowledging and offering to meet to discuss details
She is young (possibly not relevant at all really)
She is also happy to supervise
Interests include poverty

Supervisor 3:
Was supervised for PhD by Supervisor 1
Very good lecturer/teacher
Answered my email within a few days as the others but then emailed again a day later with a relevant book review
Teaches a course that includes a week on my exact subject but for an earlier period and provided the reading list
She is happy to supervise
Interests include medicine from a social perspective

The last two have more pertinent experience in the sense that they deal more with women and are more likely to have come into contact with my subject areas. Supervisor 1 is incredible and will have come across my area, but in my class this week at least 6 other people mentioned wanting her as a supervisor and I just feel I will get minimum from her, but if I wanted to continue in academia she might be a great supervisor to have?

TheArticFunky Sat 12-Oct-13 00:44:08

This is the order I would place them in:-

Great that you get a choice! We were allocated a supervisor based on our subject.

I would think very carefully about your future career aspirations and be ruthless about judging which one may help you get there.

One of my biggest regrets was thinking that my degree was the key element to my career, it absolutely wasn't, and the teaching staff were a big resource I left untapped. Assuming this is near the end of your course, I'd be brutal about that!

Still18atheart Sat 12-Oct-13 00:49:51

Tricky and I can see why you want MNs advice

I think in order of preference I would place them in

Perhaps

I think it would depend on if it bothers you that supervisor 1 might take longer to reply to your queries

Sorry I probably haven't helped but Good Luck

2Retts Sat 12-Oct-13 00:52:38

I think when you read back what you have written, your preference is;

I concur based on the information provided.

Rosencrantz Sat 12-Oct-13 01:07:36

Which uni are you at that gives you choice? In my experience good supervisors choose you! You don't get any say in it.

CircassianLeyla Sat 12-Oct-13 09:46:05

We have to approach them and obviously if I research isn't relevant to them etc then they would say no and if they are over-subscribed you would be allocated someone else. But there is an element if choice because three have the necessary expertise.

I have a meeting with no.3 on Tuesday. But no.1 is teaching me this year so I have lots of opportunities to speak to her. Thanks all.

Salbertina Sat 12-Oct-13 10:48:52

No.1 no.1 no.1!

Agree with comments about actual degree content mattering not a jot little longterm as regards future career ( unless vocational course). Go for the supervisor with the biggest CV wow factor/clout whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now