Tax credits

(3 Posts)
DrCoconut Tue 08-Oct-13 21:42:56

Anyone else think its wrong that students count as unemployed for tax credits purposes, making the family ineligible for help with childcare costs? But the threshold for help via SFE is very low. I earn about £19k and DH is a full time student and we are having to find our own childcare costs. I know someone will say we should have thought of that etc but the lack of support for people trying to better themself sends out the wrong message doesn't it?

Indith Tue 08-Oct-13 21:46:49

but childcare help through student loans is more generous than tax credits help.

but yes I think being a student you fall into alot of black holes benefits wise.

crabbiepattie Sun 27-Oct-13 14:34:57

child care help though student loans are generous as long as you fall into the right bracket!! My DH earns 26K so we re ineligable for childcare grants/fees etc. so we pay for the twins out of our own pocket....well, actually, my maintenence loans cover the cost and we receive childcare vouchers from DHs boss. so were skint!! but I want to do my Bsc so ho hum!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now