Sooooo........ i started college yesterday.......... and felt so bloody old!!!

(12 Posts)
juicychops Fri 20-Sep-13 13:47:15

So after lots of deliberation and grieving, I have given up my plan A of becoming a neuropsychologist

yesterday I began Plan B - becoming an accountant! I started level 2 AAT so long way to go yet.

but walking around 'campus' was a bit of a culture shock with 95% of students being between the ages of 16 and 20!

I am almost 29 so not quite old, but I may as well have been 80!

although I was asked by my teacher if I was there on an apprenticeship which you have to be 19 or under to do.... that cheered me up slightly

Rummikub Fri 20-Sep-13 23:45:54

You are NOT old!

Well done for going back to college.

rubyflipper Fri 20-Sep-13 23:50:57

Well done for doing what so many people dream of but fail to do!

MinionDave Fri 20-Sep-13 23:58:29

I'm 30 and in my 2nd year of an accounting degree smile There are a few oldies in my course along with me, but for the most part it's all youngsters. It's ok though, because in my head I'm actually 17 so I got right in wink

Seriously though, well done for going back, I think being a bit older can have its advantages as well, I am the class swot apparently! I have to be, trying to fit in study with working and family (organisation is key!) but at least it will all be worth it in the end.

WithConfidence Sat 21-Sep-13 08:54:42

I arrived late for my first day and the lecturer asked me if I was on day release. I was thinking, "from school? Are you mad I'm almost 34 and I look it!"

Then I realised that is just how they refer to people doing the course I am on as it's only one day a week. Thank god I didn't say what I was thinking!

The 16yo on my course are hilarious. What's a vegan? Can you finish the teaching early every day as I need to get to my part-time job?

SunnyL Sat 21-Sep-13 09:04:57

I went back to uni at 30 to do a masters. I felt like a ruddy dinosaur. I had more in common with the lecturers than i did the students. There was only a few years difference between us but it felt like decades.

crazynanna Sat 21-Sep-13 09:15:14

Well, according to the ages on here, I am the dinosaur.
I start my 2nd year if my degree on the 30th... And turn 50 on the 27th.

All my peers are aged 20-30, and at first I felt like a square peg. But they very quickly embraced me into the fold, and now I just feel the same

Delayingtactic Sat 21-Sep-13 09:24:53

Good luck! I interrupted my main degree to do another one in a different uni. I felt massively old (even though was only 21) as the 18 yr old students just seemed so very immature. Luckily there were a number of mature students and we just banded together.

I have taught first year students and loved it when we had mature students in. Asked interesting and appropriate questions, had done all the reading needed and they were all there because they wanted to be.

TheRealHousewifeOfSomewhere Wed 25-Sep-13 00:09:35

I have just started college and feel pre historic. At 41 I am the oldest on my course. I know how you feel.
How are you getting on?

Buggedoff Thu 26-Sep-13 06:53:48

I'm the oldest on my course (40) and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

My hours are long, so dd1 (age 13) is having to collect dd2 (10) from after school club. Dd1 isn't the most organised person, and has just knocked up her first detention for not submitting homework, and has also been put on report. So now I'm feeling guilty that her school work is falling apart because I'm not around much (was a SAHM for 13 years).

I hope all this is teething troubles.

iloveweetos Thu 26-Sep-13 07:06:22

Well done for starting a great course. Good luck!
I felt old at 23 lol but tbh no one really notices older students unless they stand out.
We had a 40yo lady who was really loud trying to get in with the young'uns but people were still waking up and she just pissed everyone off lol

Joy5 Sun 27-Oct-13 21:09:41

I'm another dinasaur!! Back at uni doing a post grad at nearly fifty lol

Majority of other students are in their 20s or 30s, less then five of us over forty.

I go into work for 2 hours on a Tuesday, then get to uni for a tutorial at 11, most of the others are competing on who got out of bed the latest time, some live on campus and literally get up 20 mins before the tutorial starts. I've walked the dog, done my son's pack up, driven 20 minutes to work, walked 30 mins from their to uni, and their complaining about how hard life is lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now