should i defer?

(4 Posts)
enormouse Thu 19-Sep-13 22:16:21

Am in the second year of a cert HE in psychology and behavioural science and in the process of applying to study speech and language therapy through ucas.
I have a toddler DS who would be almost 3 in sept 2014 and a second DS due in January who would be about 8 or 9 months. I have the option to defer till 2015 but I'm not sure if I should (or want to)
I really want to go back to studying full time but I'm not sure if it's doable. I have plenty of support in family and DP (works from home) but could do with some practical advice of what it's like studying with 2 small kids. Has anyone done it? Would you defer? I'm a bit worried that if I pull out of doing it, I'd find it harder to go back.

Thanks
smile

Rummikub Fri 20-Sep-13 11:20:50

Go for it! With the support you have it sounds possible. Look into where your placement is likely to be though and when in the degree it happens. I have known students sent over an hour away for placements.

jennycoast Fri 20-Sep-13 19:08:22

I think if you put it off beyond that there will always be a reason to keep putting it off. eg DS1 starting school, DS2 starting school and so it goes on. Go for it, especially since you seem to have great support in place.

enormouse Sat 21-Sep-13 14:26:18

Thanks for your advice. DP thinks I should go for it, as it'll make me happy and will mean I will be in a relatively stable career by the time eldest DS is 4/5. He also wants to go back to studying and get a primary pgce which is another consideration.
Unfortunately, placements could be all over the country but they will give special consideration to those with dependents before allocating them. I think I will apply for 2014 entry and go from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now