Student bank account

(4 Posts)
FrenchRuby Sat 07-Sep-13 11:44:37

Sorry if this is the wrong place.
I was wondering about student bank accounts? I need a separate bank account for my student loan so it doesn't get mixed up with my other money. Also I heard student bank accounts have 0% interest overdraft which would be so handy because in the first term I have to pay for 5 months of nursery fees and a uni trip to New York. Where as the rest of the year I only have to pay for 3 months of nursery per term, so I can pay off my overdraft with that, (I'm only thinking of like a £200 overdraft, I know they offer up to £2k grin ).
Anyway, my question is, am I allowed a student account being a mature student (25) and do I have to wait until I start uni to open one?
Thanks smile

FrenchRuby Sat 07-Sep-13 11:46:38

That's meant to be a shocked face not a grin face haha!

ChunkyFicken Tue 10-Sep-13 11:30:23

No, you don't have to wait. Just take along your student finance letters detailing your loans etc. Might need your letter from the uni confirming your place too, can't remember. Oh and some form of ID.

I think the MoneySavingExpert site recommends the Co-Op for its overdraft facilities.

There's also Santander, which is offering a 4-year 16-25 railcard (which older students can also apply for). I'm going for that one.

And a uni trip to New York? Wow. Quite glad I don't have to factor that into my studies (but still envious all the same!).

FrenchRuby Tue 10-Sep-13 13:35:24

I went and opened one today :D but for some reason my overdraft wouldn't go through so the guy is going to ring me back later to say if he managed to get it sorted or not.
I can't wait to go to New York! I've wanted to go forever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now