Anyone here doing/done an OU degree ??

(85 Posts)

I am thinking of doing Childhood and Youth, but i'd really like to hear from people who have done a degree with the OU before I take the plunge.

I have no formal qualifications, other than a couple of gcse's, but that was more because I hated school rather than that I haven't got the brains.
I'd be starting from their lowest course and working all the way up to degree level, so it would take 6 years in total, and i'd be 41 when it was done.

I work part time (25 hours) and have 3 dc, one of whom has some issues atm, but i think thats part of the attraction, as I want something for me, to do and achieve.

Would be grateful for any comments.

HSMMaCM Sat 03-May-14 18:21:52

Meglet - you'll get sucked in and before you know it you'll be hiring robes.

Meglet Sat 03-May-14 14:38:06

Hello, I'm just plodding through a level 1 Certificate of higher education. Nothing as heavy as the rest of you.

So far I've passed Understanding Society and Starting with Law, I have 30 points in total. Currently on a 30 point personal finance module. I'd get more done if 5yo DD would sleep hmm. Have to choose medicine, engineering or accounting module next. Basically I'm choosing modules on the basis of what will help me at work (finance dept) and what careers I could gently point the dc's towards blush.

Well done HSMM!

Weyhey <waves down the m4> well done!

HSMMaCM Sat 03-May-14 13:18:01

I'm in wales graduating today (Cardiff). Good luck to everyone starting out.

Hi all, about to start level2, bsc health science. Just marking my place smile

Having some trouble with paying my fees atm, and was kindly pointed over here for suggestions, so will read back through the thread now. I'm in wales, so some things are different though.

MegGriffin Mon 28-Apr-14 22:11:52

I started the pathway for the childhood and youth studies degree last September. I am doing 1 60 credit module a year as I also work 30 hours a week in school. some modules you can choose, others are compulsory but so far I am really enjoying it. I am currently doing E100 which has 4 TMAs and 1 EMA which takes the place of an exam. Other modules have different amounts of assignments.
also the module I am currently doing, you need to have a placement in a setting although that is not the case for all modules. Hth.

MegGriffin Mon 28-Apr-14 22:11:05

I started the pathway for the childhood and youth studies degree last September. I am doing 1 60 credit module a year as I also work 30 hours a week in school. some modules you can choose, others are compulsory but so far I am really enjoying it. I am currently doing E100 which has 4 TMAs and 1 EMA which takes the place of an exam. Other modules have different amounts of assignments.
also the module I am currently doing, you need to have a placement in a setting although that is not the case for all modules. Hth.

DiddyBeth Tue 08-Apr-14 18:12:30

Hi, I am currently pregnant and planning to start the Childhood and Youth course in October when the baby is 4 months. I was in my first year of uni when I found out I was pregnant and due to hyperemesis was unable to continue the degree. I was just wondering if there are others who are doing this course who can tell me how many assignments there will be and what their view of the course is? Just really worrying if I will be able to cope with a baby and studying.

TIA smile

JadziaSnax Tue 25-Mar-14 19:12:18

Hi, another OU student here. I'm studying an open degree, focusing on computing & maths. It's great, I'm really enjoying it. I'd definitely recommend it.

Danann Sat 18-Jan-14 12:52:07

Hi BabyDubs, you get sent through a parcel with course books, DVD's and CDs, you might have to buy some set books as well depending on the module, then depending on the course there are either optional tutorials about once a month or so or online tutorials. The study time is spent reading the books, listening to/watching the other resources, making notes and doing the activities in the books, how many assignments depends on the course but my 60 credit module this year has 6 assignments and my 30 credit module has 4. Some modules have an exam which are held in lots of places across the country, others just have a big assignment at the end.

Hi all, can I jump in with a question?
I had to leave Uni this year as my disability became too much with my pregnancy, I am due to go back and start second year again next September. However, I don't know if I will be able to afford to now, childcare will be tipping us over the edge I think! I am thinking about OU instead... how does it work? What do you actually do? are there loads and loads of assignments to take the place of all the seminars etc at Uni? What do you do with your 15 hours study a week?
TIA smile

LilyBossom Wed 25-Sep-13 18:43:10

I am hoping to do an Open Degree and have signed up for the Access Course - got all the bumf delivered today. I guess this means am actually going to have to do some work now. Feeling nervous, haven't studied for years.

LostInWales Sun 22-Sep-13 22:25:45

I'm married to a teacher btw so doing this whilst also being pregnant leaves me a little in awe of you wink

LostInWales Sun 22-Sep-13 22:24:46

Good luck sarah, what courses are you taking?

sarahquilt Sat 21-Sep-13 20:36:38

Hi, I teach full-time and also am studying an OU degree in psychology. I'm also pregnant! I would encourage you to go for it. It's worth it. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to teach anymore. Prob will be in another 6 years by the time I've done the postgrad too, but anyway...

BitBewildered Sun 15-Sep-13 08:48:11

Oh sorry to hear that Nutcracker. sad

SilveryMoon Sun 08-Sep-13 15:26:21

Makes sense lost
Nutcracker I'm really sorry to hear that sad Good wishes to you and your dd

Hi all, unfortunatly ive not been able to continue with my registration. Dd2 has gone downhill again, and I can't comitt to anything extra at the moment.

Good luck to all of you smile

LostInWales Sun 08-Sep-13 15:01:11

Mine were due to be sent out tomorrow but I got them Wednesday and Thursday of last week. I think they put a date a little in the future so people don't whinge if they are later than the website says wink.

SilveryMoon Sun 08-Sep-13 12:11:58

Mine are due to be sent on the 18th, but others on other modules seem to be getting theirs. Very exciting

LostInWales Sun 08-Sep-13 10:29:04

HanShotfirst (awesome, awesome NN btw) did you find the level two courses much harder than the level ones, I am scaring myself here wink. I've done a 60 point level 1 course and it was ok but I think I may be challenging myself a bit much with two 30 point level 2s.

Yay for funding Silvery, I don't qualify for any funding/loans as I have a degree from back in the mists of time. Going by the FB pages the course books are flying out from the OU at the moment.

BitBewildered Sun 08-Sep-13 09:30:28

I keep meaning to ask - OP how are you getting on? Did your application get processed? smile

SilveryMoon Sun 08-Sep-13 09:13:40

Hi Hans thanks for that, very reassuring.

Bewilderd I've had a little look on openlearn and am doing some bits on there to see how I get on.
Itunes was referred to by the moderator on the pre-course support group thing.
Going to have a look now

HanShotFirst Sun 08-Sep-13 09:00:44

*despatched not dispatched

HanShotFirst Sun 08-Sep-13 08:59:17

Hi everyone <waves> I'm due to start my third 60 point course and my second level 2 in a couple of weeks which will be going towards the BA/BSc (Hons) Social Policy and Criminology degree.

I'm really looking forward to it and have enjoyed the last couple of years, even if it has been a struggle sometimes to fit it in what with life carrying on around me. I've found the tutors to be really great, and the course material is really thorough so you don't feel too out of your depth. I should have a tiny bit more free time this year as DS1 started school and DS2 is in pre school for a couple of hours. Apparently, my course materials are dispatched next week - exciting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now