Anyone here doing/done an OU degree ??

(78 Posts)

I am thinking of doing Childhood and Youth, but i'd really like to hear from people who have done a degree with the OU before I take the plunge.

I have no formal qualifications, other than a couple of gcse's, but that was more because I hated school rather than that I haven't got the brains.
I'd be starting from their lowest course and working all the way up to degree level, so it would take 6 years in total, and i'd be 41 when it was done.

I work part time (25 hours) and have 3 dc, one of whom has some issues atm, but i think thats part of the attraction, as I want something for me, to do and achieve.

Would be grateful for any comments.

purplepippin Mon 19-Aug-13 10:41:14

I am doing this degree, I have done previous study at this level but not for years. I have completed 1 level one module and just about to finish a level 2 module. I am really really enjoying it, I spend about 10 hrs a week studying which is hard as I'm a sahm to 5dc. I have found the OU very accommodating, my tutors have all been great and happy to give extensions etc.

Ah thanks Purple that sounds like what I was hoping to hear.

I generally have at least 1 and a half days off a week when the dc are at school, so time shouldn't really be an issue. It's probably self discipline I will struggle with.

HSMMaCM Mon 19-Aug-13 22:33:23

I have done the early years degree, which crosses over with childhood and youth. I am just taking my final module and it has been worth all the years of study. I work 50 hrs per week with one DD. it is possible.

MrsBottesini Mon 19-Aug-13 22:36:11

have one module to go for OU BSc psychology. Also have three dc (one SN) and a teaching job.
It's doable. Actually enjoyable.

Sparklysilversequins Mon 19-Aug-13 22:37:13

smile This is so funny. I am doing an Open Degree but have just today phoned to request I change to Childhood and Youth Studies as those are all the modules I am choosing so thought it would be good to have it as a named degree. It's quite hard to get motivated sometimes but I really enjoy it and that sense of satisfaction when the TMA goes off is great!

maja00 Mon 19-Aug-13 22:47:11

I am just finishing the Early Years degree too, about to finish my final EMA! It's taken 6 years while working and having a baby in the middle of it but it is doable - I have had a very supportive DP allowing me clear study time though.

I'd say I try to put aside about 12 hours a week for study in my final year, but some weeks I manage none and some weeks I have to work every hour to get stuff done to a deadline. Probably did less in the first couple of years. I have found the materials, tutors and tutorials etc really good.

SilveryMoon Fri 23-Aug-13 21:18:40

Nutcracker I am enrolled on Childhood and Youth Studies starting this October. So excited!
I work full-time as a SEN TA and have 2 dc's (4 &6) and I'm hoping I'll be able to manage.
Like you, I did poorly at school because I thought school was for suckers and have no qualifications, although I have studied a bit at home the past few years out of personal interest.
I too, want to do it to prove to myself that I can achieve whatever I want. I will be 38 when I get the degree.

MegGriffin Fri 23-Aug-13 21:31:54

I'm starting the Early Years Foundation Degree in October. I did a level 3 diploma in pre school practice 6 years ago but otger than that I only have 1 O level and a handful of CSE s.
I work 29 hours a week in a reception class as a TA and have 2 children so I know it will be a challenge but I am determined to succeed.
Good luck if you choose to go ahead, I'm sure you would do brilliantly. smile smile

MegGriffin Fri 23-Aug-13 21:32:49

Oh and I'm doing it with the OU.

SilveryMoon Fri 23-Aug-13 21:34:26

I'm going with the OU too Meg

LostInWales Fri 23-Aug-13 21:39:51

Well I'm doing Computing and IT so different degree but I have 165 points of 360 needed and I LOVE it. I have 3 DC (one with SN) and a part time job but for me studying is an absolute joy, as you say something that is mine, allllll miiiiine grin. I have finally gained some self confidence because I am doing something I want to do and I can do it. I seriously think that the government would do a lot for the country if they sponsored everyone to do one OU course as a 40th birthday present. <ahem> So to precis, go for it wink.

sixminutespeace Fri 23-Aug-13 21:41:34

Hi, I've also completed my foundation degree in early years with the OU. It took me four years and I found it challenging but enjoyable. The tutors and materials are very good. Having studied at the same level with a brick uni I would say that you are not as 'spoon fed' and expected to use your own initiative to a much greater degree. I was at times frustrated as the modules were only available at certain times so I had gaps of five/six months where I couldn't study whilst waiting to enrol. Well worth it though. They do have taster sessions/open days at their Harbourne, Birmingham branch (not sure if they run any others)

MegGriffin Fri 23-Aug-13 21:47:17

Ooh it's exciting Silvery, isn't it.

SilveryMoon Fri 23-Aug-13 21:51:18

Yes Meg grin Just waiting to hear whether I'll get the student loan or not, wish they'd hurry up!
The webpage says that course materials will be dispatched on 18th September so am looking forward to buying pens, post-it, notepads and folders blush wink grin

MegGriffin Fri 23-Aug-13 22:02:44

oh I have startwd buying already and have a lovely lovely shelf with empty folders, poclet pouches, dividers and notebooks that I keep on looking at <sad emoticon>.
My course materials are due to be sent from 30 Aug squee.

MegGriffin Fri 23-Aug-13 22:03:18

Excuse typos on phone.

SilveryMoon Fri 23-Aug-13 22:16:10

I love stationery shops and aisles as it is, but am stopping myself from buying now until I see what is supplied by the OU so I can better plan what I'll need.

MegGriffin Fri 23-Aug-13 22:24:22

You are very restrained Silvery and very sensible.
I feel a bit like I did when I was pregnant the first time by 'nesting' for my first module but not really 100% what to expect so buying random stationary and reading what I can on the website.

SilveryMoon Sat 24-Aug-13 10:40:34

Yes Meg That's exactly how I feel! I have been in the stationery aisle eyeing up the coloured post-it's and highlighter pens grin

MegGriffin Sat 24-Aug-13 15:17:31

Ooh and for those of you starting with the OU in October they are running live tutorials about how to use the library services and finding information for assignments etc.
I attended one this morning and it was really informative and interactive. I would highly recommend this to any newbies.

Enb76 Sat 24-Aug-13 15:23:11

I'm doing OU, broad based history. Am really enjoying it.

monstermissy Sat 24-Aug-13 15:41:37

Another one here starting childhood and youth in October smile I was going to go to the local uni but I've 3 dcs 1 with sen and decided to take longer and go with OU so cancelled my place. Really looking forward to it, had a year off from study after finishing my access course and missed it.

monstermissy Sat 24-Aug-13 15:45:49

I work 32 hours a week so it will be hard work but I better like that. Still waiting to hear from student finance after sending them my documents etc then all good to go. smile

SilveryMoon Sat 24-Aug-13 16:01:42

Lots of potential study-buddies here grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now