Wanting to do a phd in a few years time...

(5 Posts)
IWipeArses Fri 16-Aug-13 16:11:32

but I haven't done anything career wise since I completed my Masters 6 years ago, pretty much got pregnant straight after.

How much and what academic/career related stuff do you think the Unis would want to see in my career before putting in an application?

ZombiesAteMyBigToe Fri 16-Aug-13 16:41:52

I start a part time, partly self funded, phd in history in about six weeks ( wibble).

In my case I just had to convince a supervisor that I was sufficiently interested and capable and hadn't stagnated whilst at home (I left university in 2004!).

What you would need to show depends on your subject area and whether you are after funding etc.

IWipeArses Fri 16-Aug-13 16:58:11

Ooh, well done and good luck with it.

I'm looking at what conferences are out there, thinking about a blog grin
I'm definitely looking at an arts subject, but with a neurology/psychological/religious studies angle, suppose it means there'll be more departments to approach??

Evidencing what I've done while at home would help wouldn't it, the various subjects that I've read up on and how the experience of motherhood/sahm has impacted on me and my critical thinking etc.

ZombiesAteMyBigToe Fri 16-Aug-13 17:41:01

I did Ancient History for my degree and they were surprisingly amenable to me switching to modern medical history but I had to show my thought process as to how I got from one to the other.

In my case I mentioned I had worked in a care home, was interested in urban exploration websites and in particular old asylums, which had guided my reading for a few years etc. I had also done a social care course with the OU and another in Psychology which helped too with evidence of commitment, independent study and interest.

I have read a hell of a lot since I have been a SAHM, I read a many of the 'classic novels' as I could, hundreds of history books and really developed my interests. In the informal interview with my supervisor a lot of it was just chatting through interests, potential proposals etc, trying to align research interests. If I hadn't done any reading it would have been much more awkward.

With the SAHM bit I said (with a smile on my face) that it had improved my patience, negotiating skills and confidence. That it had made me much more organised and responsible and able to juggle tasks and prioritise ( and I referenced studying with DCs when I was doing my OU courses too).

Blog sounds like an excellent idea. I wish I had thought of something like that. You could really develop it over a few years and it would give great evidence of your commitment and enthusiasm to the subject.

IWipeArses Fri 16-Aug-13 20:23:55

That's very helpful Zombies, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now