Master's with family and FT work

(12 Posts)
KinkyDorito Thu 15-Aug-13 22:35:29

I want to do this course for me, because it will allow me to explore a subject I've been interested in for years. It won't help me to change career but I want to do it anyway and I was thrilled to be accepted onto it. It's online, PT.

However, I am now feeling a bit wobbly. I work FT in a challenging job, have two DC and a home to run. I'm a little daunted and was hoping to hear stories of people who have managed it!

I'm also scared that my brain is a shadow of it's pre-DC, FT work self. I used to be so good academically and I'm nervous I'm no longer cut out for it.

Sigh.

KinkyDorito Sat 17-Aug-13 17:42:48

I am doomed.

hereorthere71 Sat 17-Aug-13 20:38:23

Just wanted to say good luck! I am due to start a p/t Masters in Sept. I am also due to have DC3 in early October so will be on maternity leave. This might be utterly mad but I feel compelled to do it anyway!
I'm not sure which would be harder - working FT and doing Masters and running family home or having a newborn + 2 other children + home + Masters!
I'm also feeling daunted and wobbly but I know I'd regret it, if I didn't give it a go. If you really want to do this - you will!

KinkyDorito Sun 18-Aug-13 12:05:01

Thanks smile.

You're right about needing to have a go. For you, it will depend on wider support and nature of your children. I've got a very dependent four year old, so I know I won't get a great deal done unless DH is here. Even then, he will be pestering me. But like you, I knew that if I didn't give it a go, I would regret it.

Good luck too!

I did it and it was the best smile

TinyDiamond Sun 18-Aug-13 13:47:56

you can do this. You just have to reprioritise for the next year (or 2?) be strict with yourself, evenings are going to be your work time now so no more going out ( if you do already) I tend to only go out now if it is an occasion birthday etc. It is not forever. You have to be very organized but I imagine you are already. Will dh take DC for one full day each weekend so you can study? This way you have that night to spend as a couple and then one full day all together.
I found the pro to having to be this way is that you do save money as if you are tied to your computer screen then you don't spend going anywhere. A good incentive is to keep any extra aside for a family holiday or purchase for when you finish. Also your graduation ceremony, do something special

TinyDiamond Sun 18-Aug-13 13:49:05

also time saving things like slow cooker meals, batch cooking in these may come in useful. If you could afford it, get a cleaner

KinkyDorito Sun 18-Aug-13 14:07:59

Thanks Katie and Tiny. I'm not brilliantly organised, but will definitely be working on putting a better routine into place before I start. DS begins Reception this year, so it is ideal to get organised now. I don't go out much anyway, so evenings should be okay with exception of couple of nights I take DC to clubs. Don't think DH has fully realised how this will impact him. I have repeatedly explained and asked him if it's okay, and he says to go for it. I suspect he's in for a rude awakening! I am giving serious consideration to getting a cleaner in too.

It's for 3 years.

CircassianLeyla Wed 21-Aug-13 16:02:58

How exciting.

I do a part time degree (brick uni), have 3 DCs (oldest now 7 and youngest 2) and have worked part time in a demanding job last year and this year will be working full time.

I will not lie it is full on and being organised is the absolute key. Get a good diary - I love the Palgrave Student Planner.. it is a bit poncy and my friends laugh at me and it is A5 sized but it has so much space to just get everything in. A calendar is key and all dates must be duplicated for everyone to see.

Meal Plans etc as mentioned will be a life saver.

DH probably isnt listening.... my DH felt a little put out during my first year until I got my grades and now he is great, it sort of has to be real for them I think.

I do try to make time for Saturday night family TV or games (X Factor/Strictly with some popcorn) and then DH and I watch a film after. This is non negotiable in our house.

In terms of work it is just getting as much as possible beforehand and making a slot for it and doing it. Do not let anything interfere with the slot unless dire emergency.

Also helpful, rework the agenda/slots on a weekly basis to account for anything new that may have come up. Get an iPad or similar where you can carry it around and read whilst waiting at activities, for meetings on trains etc.

CircassianLeyla Wed 21-Aug-13 16:03:27

I probably should have bullet pointed all that... it looks waffly now. blush

KinkyDorito Wed 21-Aug-13 19:15:06

That's all brilliant advice Circassian; thank you thanks thanks thanks.

I am still feeling wibbly. Will look at planner.

CircassianLeyla Thu 22-Aug-13 23:21:57

Good luck. I dream if a MA but I also dream about how to save the £8k to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now