Anyone starting FT uni want to set up a support thread?!

(58 Posts)
crabbiepattie Wed 14-Aug-13 12:19:26

Im starting a full time BSc DT with QTS in a few weeks time. Leaving my three gorgeous children in childcare after being a sahm for 4 years. It a mix of grinconfusedshock��������

niceupthedance Wed 25-Sep-13 18:34:03

God I'm so tired! Haven't even really done anything yet except turned up to lectures. Still a lot of admin stress though. I maintain that you don't know what call centre hell is until you've had to deal with student finance!

Quincejelly Wed 25-Sep-13 06:56:30

That sounds good, Imherefornow. Even if it was a hard first day, things seem to be getting easier already.

I don´t start until next week so it´s good to hear about your experiences before I get to take the plunge!

I´m sure all the 18-20 year olds on my course will think I´m very cool rolling up with my shopping trolley!

Imherefornow Tue 24-Sep-13 23:02:12

hmm...tried to post but it vanished confused

Anyway...I should think it's fine that you use a 25 year old scientific calculator. though may I suggest a trolley to carry it's great weight about grin

First day was loooong! Was very drained when I got home and feeling lonely. However, today was a better day and am looking forward to tomorrow. I think I'm going to be OK smile Just need to be disciplined!

Quincejelly Mon 23-Sep-13 10:20:44

I have also just realised that I´m the only one thinking about using my 25 year old scientific calculator. Presumably I need a smartphone with a scientific calculator app, do I?

niceupthedance Mon 23-Sep-13 06:43:02

Got my first lecture today, good luck to the others starting too.

Imherefornow Sun 22-Sep-13 23:09:59

I have pouch envy! Why did I not think of one of those envy
Yes! yes! yes! to the Sunday feeling! Have been trying to sleep for ages but brain is too noisy. Have decided to watch David Attenborough on Iplayer. Hopefully that'll send me right off.

ChunkyFicken Sun 22-Sep-13 21:32:44

I'm chuckling at your satchel I'mhere, I've got one too although it's not big enough for my MASSIVE course books.

Have sorted out my colour co-ordinated notebooks, pens, a pouch containing Essentials like chapstick, tissues and antibac hand sanitiser (Fresher Flu begone) and my uni card.

Now all I have to do is go. And enjoy it. Oh gosh, I really hope I do enjoy it. Haven't had this Sunday evening feeling for so many years.

Good luck to everyone sitting in their first lecture tomorrow!

Imherefornow Sun 22-Sep-13 10:51:47

Definitely essential for me!

So tomorrow!!! shock Found a Facebook page for my course. First thing that stands out is that they're all very young! Seems they have a party arranged for tomorrow night...I'm not going to be able to go! No one is going to want to be my friend because I'm boring sad

On a positive note I get to sort out my satchel (that's right I have a satchel!) Organise pens and folders and papers. I used to take joy in doing this when I was a child before starting school...Am hopeful that it's as much fun as I remember grin The rest of my day is going to be filled with cleaning the house -as it's likely to need a blowtorch by the end of the week- and agonise over what to wear.

Good luck to all that are starting tomorrow. Here's to lofty ideas!

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Sat 21-Sep-13 08:41:27

Really useful, structuring essays, researching and referencing, stuff like that.

I could have found it all out myself but it was nice to be in the environment and meet some of the people on my course too.

It wouldn't have been essential for everybody but was for me.

Imherefornow Sat 21-Sep-13 08:25:50

How useful did you find study skills ImATotJeSuisUneTot? Is it nice and basic...like really basic? As I'm not convinced I remember (or if I ever even knew) how to write and correctly structure essays!

IamnottoothickIamnottoothick

How many funny looks am I going to get when I turn up with actual paper and pencil to take notes? Are these still used any more or will I just be showing my age?

I am now also worrying about hair and what to wear -thanks for that Quincejelly!

IamstillcoolIamstillcoolIamstillcool

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Fri 20-Sep-13 19:21:19

Ive been attending a free study skills course run by my uni for the last three weeks, and attended my induction on Tuesday night.

There are 40 people on my course, in a wide range of ages and backgrounds - some with loads of education experience, some with none at all - I'm really looking forward to the group discussion aspect now.

Still no student finance, but will hopefully be sorted pretty soon. Official start date is October 7th. Eeeek! grin

Imherefornow Fri 20-Sep-13 17:22:31

Cheers to that <clink>
I am not too thick I am not too thick I am not too thick!

Quincejelly Fri 20-Sep-13 14:36:45

Imherefornow - I feel the same. But let´s drink to lofty ideas! wine

Chant: I am not too thick! I am not too thick!

Imherefornow Fri 20-Sep-13 12:13:32

Also...did I mention that I'm old!? A terrible procrastinator too!

It's Friday! That means I can have me some wine later and kill off any remaining brain cells or at least get drunk enough to convince myself that I am smart grin

Imherefornow Fri 20-Sep-13 12:09:35

<puts hand up meekly>
Starting induction week on Monday am so very anxious! What on earth have I done!?! It's a very big possibility that I'm far too thick to do this degree and am not sure what benefit I will get out of it in the end anyway...Well, other that sauntering around saying 'I have a degree you know'grin
In all seriousness though, I am passionate about the subject and hope to make a difference somewhere down the line but am wondering if I should have just stayed at my lovely (however badly paid) job and smothered my lofty ideas.
The kids! The poor kids won't know what's hit them! Have been at their beck and call for 13 years. Have promised to buy a microwave so they can at least heat up lovingly prepared readymeals home cooked meals that I will make in between lectures and studyinghmm
I second your 'Oh what have I done??!!!' Quincejelly

When I told them, they said they were actually relieved - they thought I'd requested a meeting to tell them that I was leaving uni/changing course grin

crabbiepattie Thu 19-Sep-13 16:04:47

Ah congrats moomin smileand nice one that the lecturers are cool with it smile

I start on monday. Im more worried about what im going to wear and what my hair looks like than anything else now!! Kids are sorted an settled into school/nursery and finances have been "arranged" (put into an excell spreadsheet!)

Just need to start now!!biscuitbrewbrewbrewbrewbrewbrewbiscuit

Told lecturers.... everything's going to work out fine somehow and I feel so much more confident after speaking to them grin

Quincejelly Thu 19-Sep-13 11:38:12

I´m going back to uni ft having graduated from my last degree about 16 years ago. I really don´t know if I will be able to get into it again. I´m trying to revise some of the stuff I should know and I can´t remember anything.
I had felt it had been my life´s work getting the place at uni at all. Now I´ve finally got the place, it´s just dawned on me that I´m going to have to pass exams and stuff! How on earth am I ever going to do that? a) haven´t sat an exam for 16 years b) have got two kids who need attention c) can´t just leave all the washing up in the basin as oh works full time and I´m in charge of housework (he earns ... I do housework!) d) can´t stay up late working/revising for exams because I´m now nearly 40 and have got a fried brain from years of wine, work and kids!
Oh what have I done??!!!

JaquelineHyde Wed 18-Sep-13 22:36:01

I get to meet all my new year group tomorrow. It's there induction day and I have been invited along so that when I turn up in January it's not a massive surprise to anyone.

I'm so looking forward to being back in education again but the thought of writing anything remotely academic terrifies me.

The children keep asking me when I'm going back to uni, so I think even they have got fed up with having me around 24hrs a day. I will miss the baby so much though when I return full time.

I don't go back to lectures until a week on Monday (when I'll be ten weeks), but I'm going to tell my lecturers tomorrow and I'm so so nervous sad

filee777 Tue 17-Sep-13 20:15:18

Just found out I can get a 15% discount from apple for a laptop! I was toying with getting one but my bank said they would loan me the money but only if it was 'for' something and a laptop fits the bill and would be really useful!

Getting more than a tensy wensy bit excited now!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 17-Sep-13 10:19:28

I start 3rd year of FT English degree this week. Did first year with 1yo DD, second year pg with DS. Emailed an aassignment the day I went in to labour. Did my exams 2 weeks post partum.

Now trying to start dissertation with non sleeping 6 month DS.

This is not a stealth boast, just saying it can be done!

Cold water I am in awe.... grin

filee777 Tue 17-Sep-13 10:06:40

Hi everyone! I start a social work degree on Monday eeeek!

It's all been such a blur, getting accepted onto the course, getting my level 2 sorted (result back today but i am more than confident) then I've gone through the hassle that is student finance who have been LESS than helpful and yesterday I finally sent off the last of the hoops they have asked me to jump through. I spoke to them at the same time and they said I was getting a student loan on Monday! Which is crazy news! I should also be able to get a student bursary with the uni of around 1000 so going to apply for that.

I went and got a student account at the bank yesterday and they gave me an overdraft! That's never happened!

I should get a childcare grant soon too.

It's all just sort of happened and I can't believe I have done it all properly... I have an assignment to finish by the 5th October but need to complete my nvq2 first so going to finish that this week.

Best of luck everyone! I am so nervous and excited!

ChunkyFicken Mon 16-Sep-13 17:32:13

First day for me too. Lots of things to take in, no actual lectures til next week.

I did spend most of the day thinking 'what on earth possessed me to think this would be good/I can do this'.

Am also now shattered. Seemingly spending the day waaaaay out of your comfort zone is v v tiring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now