Anyone starting FT uni want to set up a support thread?!

(58 Posts)
crabbiepattie Wed 14-Aug-13 12:19:26

Im starting a full time BSc DT with QTS in a few weeks time. Leaving my three gorgeous children in childcare after being a sahm for 4 years. It a mix of grinconfusedshock��������

JaquelineHyde Mon 02-Sep-13 23:41:03

Evening, can I join?

I started my Social Work Masters last September but have been on maternity leave since January.

I go back to full time study/placement in January but have 4 essays and a law test due in before then so I need to get started as soon as the DCs go back to school.

I really don't know how I am going to sum up the motivation to write these bloody things without actually being part of the uni scene, lectures, group work, seminars etc.

Kicks up the backside will be very much needed!

Good luck everyone.

Hope it's ok for me to post here smile Just found out I'm six weeks pregnant, just about to start my second year of a very practical theatre degree, with my OH just about to start a History and Creative Writing degree. I'm a little apprehensive, but I'm determined to do second year (I'm not due until April, towards the end of the year), and if I fail anything, retake it over the summer.

Ooh, congrats moominleigh grin
I have my induction stuff starting a week today, I'm ever so slightly terrified...but I did clear a book shelf ready for the books from my reading list I've ordered so at least I feel like I've done something to prepare!
Good luck to everyone grin

Goldendandelion Mon 16-Sep-13 07:18:55

Has anyone started yet? My induction week starts today and I feel so nervous!

I had my induction last week - I was ridiculously nervous! it was fine though, I think everyone felt the same to some degree. It was a bit of a shock to the system though, I was only in for 2 and a half days and I was SO tired grin I have my first proper lecture today, I'm panicking a bit that my brain will have forgotten how to learn in the 9 years since I did my a levels!
Good luck today grin

JaquelineHyde Mon 16-Sep-13 12:22:12

moomin take it a day at a time with uni and the pregnancy.

I found out about this time last year that I was expecting DC4 in April and planned to stay on and complete the year working right up until I gave birth have 3-4 weeks off and then return to complete the last few weeks.

However, the pregnancy was hideous and I ended up intermitting on a years maternity leave from January 13 - January 14. Get as much of the work you can do done asap and out of the way and use student services/support to help you as much as you can, they have been fab for me.

Good luck.

niceupthedance Mon 16-Sep-13 13:17:25

First day today. I've moved from a Russell group uni to a former poly and the atmosphere is much friendlier already, staff seem more helpful etc. But of course I have woken up with a crappy virus - hope it's not a sign of things to come!

Debs75 Mon 16-Sep-13 13:25:52

I am doing my access this year and hope to start in Sept 2015 if I get accepted first time. I want to do midwifery and our uni enrol a year in advance, although some lucky ones interviewed this year and got on this year.
If I get in 2015 I will have a 5 year old a 7 year old a 16 year old and a 19 year old at Uni too.

I feel bad enough at leaving the 3 and 5 year old one day a week for the access course so god knows how I will feel leaving them every day most weeks of the year!

ChunkyFicken Mon 16-Sep-13 17:32:13

First day for me too. Lots of things to take in, no actual lectures til next week.

I did spend most of the day thinking 'what on earth possessed me to think this would be good/I can do this'.

Am also now shattered. Seemingly spending the day waaaaay out of your comfort zone is v v tiring!

filee777 Tue 17-Sep-13 10:06:40

Hi everyone! I start a social work degree on Monday eeeek!

It's all been such a blur, getting accepted onto the course, getting my level 2 sorted (result back today but i am more than confident) then I've gone through the hassle that is student finance who have been LESS than helpful and yesterday I finally sent off the last of the hoops they have asked me to jump through. I spoke to them at the same time and they said I was getting a student loan on Monday! Which is crazy news! I should also be able to get a student bursary with the uni of around 1000 so going to apply for that.

I went and got a student account at the bank yesterday and they gave me an overdraft! That's never happened!

I should get a childcare grant soon too.

It's all just sort of happened and I can't believe I have done it all properly... I have an assignment to finish by the 5th October but need to complete my nvq2 first so going to finish that this week.

Best of luck everyone! I am so nervous and excited!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 17-Sep-13 10:19:28

I start 3rd year of FT English degree this week. Did first year with 1yo DD, second year pg with DS. Emailed an aassignment the day I went in to labour. Did my exams 2 weeks post partum.

Now trying to start dissertation with non sleeping 6 month DS.

This is not a stealth boast, just saying it can be done!

Cold water I am in awe.... grin

filee777 Tue 17-Sep-13 20:15:18

Just found out I can get a 15% discount from apple for a laptop! I was toying with getting one but my bank said they would loan me the money but only if it was 'for' something and a laptop fits the bill and would be really useful!

Getting more than a tensy wensy bit excited now!

I don't go back to lectures until a week on Monday (when I'll be ten weeks), but I'm going to tell my lecturers tomorrow and I'm so so nervous sad

JaquelineHyde Wed 18-Sep-13 22:36:01

I get to meet all my new year group tomorrow. It's there induction day and I have been invited along so that when I turn up in January it's not a massive surprise to anyone.

I'm so looking forward to being back in education again but the thought of writing anything remotely academic terrifies me.

The children keep asking me when I'm going back to uni, so I think even they have got fed up with having me around 24hrs a day. I will miss the baby so much though when I return full time.

Quincejelly Thu 19-Sep-13 11:38:12

I´m going back to uni ft having graduated from my last degree about 16 years ago. I really don´t know if I will be able to get into it again. I´m trying to revise some of the stuff I should know and I can´t remember anything.
I had felt it had been my life´s work getting the place at uni at all. Now I´ve finally got the place, it´s just dawned on me that I´m going to have to pass exams and stuff! How on earth am I ever going to do that? a) haven´t sat an exam for 16 years b) have got two kids who need attention c) can´t just leave all the washing up in the basin as oh works full time and I´m in charge of housework (he earns ... I do housework!) d) can´t stay up late working/revising for exams because I´m now nearly 40 and have got a fried brain from years of wine, work and kids!
Oh what have I done??!!!

Told lecturers.... everything's going to work out fine somehow and I feel so much more confident after speaking to them grin

crabbiepattie Thu 19-Sep-13 16:04:47

Ah congrats moomin smileand nice one that the lecturers are cool with it smile

I start on monday. Im more worried about what im going to wear and what my hair looks like than anything else now!! Kids are sorted an settled into school/nursery and finances have been "arranged" (put into an excell spreadsheet!)

Just need to start now!!biscuitbrewbrewbrewbrewbrewbrewbiscuit

When I told them, they said they were actually relieved - they thought I'd requested a meeting to tell them that I was leaving uni/changing course grin

Imherefornow Fri 20-Sep-13 12:09:35

<puts hand up meekly>
Starting induction week on Monday am so very anxious! What on earth have I done!?! It's a very big possibility that I'm far too thick to do this degree and am not sure what benefit I will get out of it in the end anyway...Well, other that sauntering around saying 'I have a degree you know'grin
In all seriousness though, I am passionate about the subject and hope to make a difference somewhere down the line but am wondering if I should have just stayed at my lovely (however badly paid) job and smothered my lofty ideas.
The kids! The poor kids won't know what's hit them! Have been at their beck and call for 13 years. Have promised to buy a microwave so they can at least heat up lovingly prepared readymeals home cooked meals that I will make in between lectures and studyinghmm
I second your 'Oh what have I done??!!!' Quincejelly

Imherefornow Fri 20-Sep-13 12:13:32

Also...did I mention that I'm old!? A terrible procrastinator too!

It's Friday! That means I can have me some wine later and kill off any remaining brain cells or at least get drunk enough to convince myself that I am smart grin

Quincejelly Fri 20-Sep-13 14:36:45

Imherefornow - I feel the same. But let´s drink to lofty ideas! wine

Chant: I am not too thick! I am not too thick!

Imherefornow Fri 20-Sep-13 17:22:31

Cheers to that <clink>
I am not too thick I am not too thick I am not too thick!

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Fri 20-Sep-13 19:21:19

Ive been attending a free study skills course run by my uni for the last three weeks, and attended my induction on Tuesday night.

There are 40 people on my course, in a wide range of ages and backgrounds - some with loads of education experience, some with none at all - I'm really looking forward to the group discussion aspect now.

Still no student finance, but will hopefully be sorted pretty soon. Official start date is October 7th. Eeeek! grin

Imherefornow Sat 21-Sep-13 08:25:50

How useful did you find study skills ImATotJeSuisUneTot? Is it nice and basic...like really basic? As I'm not convinced I remember (or if I ever even knew) how to write and correctly structure essays!

IamnottoothickIamnottoothick

How many funny looks am I going to get when I turn up with actual paper and pencil to take notes? Are these still used any more or will I just be showing my age?

I am now also worrying about hair and what to wear -thanks for that Quincejelly!

IamstillcoolIamstillcoolIamstillcool

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Sat 21-Sep-13 08:41:27

Really useful, structuring essays, researching and referencing, stuff like that.

I could have found it all out myself but it was nice to be in the environment and meet some of the people on my course too.

It wouldn't have been essential for everybody but was for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now