Anyone doing a social science/ humanities PhD?

(5 Posts)

I am due to start in September. Obviously I know my research proposal well and anticipate this taking up a lot of my time but I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what my typical week will feel like?
How structured is your time? How often do you meet with supervisors, attend seminars etc? I'll be teaching p/t aswell- how much time should I expect to dedicate to this if running 3 seminars per week and marking essays?
I know it impossible to be exact as every university different but if anyone has any experiences to share I'd be grateful.
Thank you

MrsMongoose Mon 12-Aug-13 02:19:40

Watching because I intend to start a Politics PhD in September 2014!

TinyDiamond Mon 12-Aug-13 15:18:27

also watching. Sociology for me but hoping to start sept 2014 too.

hairtwiddler Mon 12-Aug-13 15:28:34

My PhD is in social sciences. I'm part time going into my second year. the first two years I'm expected to attend research training seminars, a few hours a week. Lab meetings are once a month when all our research group get together. I work the remainder of my time (school hours) on reading and work needed for the project. Writing was three big pieces of coursework, a lit review and another major bit of writing.
Other than teaching though, how I manage my time is up to me. Next semester I'll teach about 5 hours per week.

BeauNatt Tue 13-Aug-13 14:18:48

If it helps, I met up with my supervisor recently to informally discuss things like this ie how often I should be on campus, what training to attend, how often supervisory meetings will take place. Mainly it meant my supervisor got a chance to consider everything I'm having to think about with having a baby to look after too. Can you do this? I'm starting in the autumn as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now