appealing an OU EMA

(10 Posts)
TinyDiamond Thu 01-Aug-13 18:19:55

smokin....not my tutor group it's a selection of students from across the UK.

TinyDiamond Thu 01-Aug-13 12:41:18

No first is out of the question now as other level 3 course was a pass 2 this year. If it had been a distinction (I had another 85+ OCAS) then I would've potentially got it.

I would need to get distinctions on both my modules next year (another 2 and 3) which is not going to happen as now I see that everything is lost at the end of year with an EMA or exam score. Deflated

Procrastinating Thu 01-Aug-13 12:31:53

Hi Tiny, I have heard of grades being changed because of mistakes in the adding up of marks and because of personal circumstances.
The query form should send them back to your EMA to check the adding up, if you have had a reply it looks like this has been done.

Can you talk to your tutor? Your tutor could raise this with the course team, I think that might be the way to go. I would help more but this isn't my second level course (mine has an exam).

Depending on your course and your other grades you could still get a first; year three is usually more important than year two and they do seem to be flexible in awarding final degree classifications.

Horrible situation for you though, very frustrating.

smokinaces Thu 01-Aug-13 12:00:46

If it were a particular tutorial group with this issue, I would say it was down to the tutoring tbh. There was a marked difference in our emas between tutor groups.

If its across the country, say a fb group, you need to try and get your paper remarked, but I have no idea how that is done. They do advise that exams and emas can be significantly lower than ocas scores, but agree that is a big difference. Could your emas have all been marked by the same person? Could you ask for them to be relooked at as a group?

TinyDiamond Thu 01-Aug-13 11:54:34

Hi Procrastinating.

I did a level 2 and 3 this year. The result I wish to query is the one from my level 2 module. Have already done MRQ form, rec'd standard stock response that everyone seems to get which is basically 'go away, there are no appeals on EMAs'.

What other reasons have OES scores been changed in the past?

It is not just me affected, many members of my cohort have ended up going from distinction OCAS scores to pass 3 or 4s due to the EMA. I am gutted as my chance of a first class degree are ruined. I achieved an 85 OCAS but only 58 EMA, no feedback to suggest what I did wrong (same as everyone else) the feedback that is there (3 lines) is contradictory and full of spelling mistakes.

Others have significantly dropped too. A selection: 86-53, 83-67, 80-41, 83-58.

It is the most unfair situation I have ever been in. Our degrees are all compromised, but no way to appeal anything.

Procrastinating Thu 01-Aug-13 10:37:35

Hello Tiny I'm an OU tutor. You need to fill in a 'module result query form' which should be somewhere on studenthome. Sorry, tutors don't get the same version of the website so I don't know exactly where it is.

You could also phone the exams helpline 01908 858312, I think option 2 is the one you want.

As far as I know EMAs are under the same rules as exams so are not remarked, but results have been changed in the past for other reasons - it is rare though.

Is this a level one course? or higher?

CockyFox Thu 01-Aug-13 10:27:48

Sorry I don't know the answer but I failed my Exam this year only by a few marks. I emailed my tutor and she said that the mark is final no right of appeal unless there were special circumstances. I have to resit the exam.

Have you asked your tutor?

TinyDiamond Thu 01-Aug-13 10:23:35

bump

TinyDiamond Tue 30-Jul-13 13:34:43

anyone?

TinyDiamond Tue 30-Jul-13 00:34:11

Hi there,

does anyone have any experience at all of appealing an EMA result whether it is in recent years or not? Obviously they state it can't be done but I am trying to research any options we may have. I'd particularly like to hear opinions of any OU tutors on here and whether you know of it ever being successful.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now