Open Uni - I have an EMA (last essay of this course) to do in a WEEK. Anyone?

(18 Posts)

DS has been ill for about a month...just 2 back to back colds but we've barely slept all month (am an LP) and I can barely think straight but I just have to do this as the deadline is in a week!

Someone please help me calm the fuck down? confused

I know I can do it but I'm so tired that it's bound to be shit & is so much harder to write at the moment.

I feel like taking up smoking again it's that bad...Buggeration.

Chan1811 Sat 06-Jul-13 10:03:47

Take a breath and read the question and spend just 10 minutes making a rough plan. That will give you a kick start.

Which course are u doing?

TwasBrillig Sat 06-Jul-13 10:04:24

Don't let it really get to you.

Write down the different parts you have to do (I don't know which course - but reread material/take notes/essay plan/essay or part a/b/c) and estimate times. Work on a little bit each day rather than panicking about the "whole".

Don't let it get to the last day if you're likely not to hand in. Is it likely you can do it? If its not can you email the tutor and explain (briefly) your circumstance, say you're half way through (or however far you actually get) and that although you're expecting to finish it you might not make the deadline would you be eligible for an extension. But you need not to leave that to the last minute.

Honestly the best thing is to carve out an hour or two here an there, stop panicking about the "big picture" and just crack on with getting a bit done. All the little bits add up. Make sure you do a bit each day or each time you get a chance.

Talk yourself back down out of a panic

"it's going to be shit"
"well it might be, but a completed essay will be better than no essay so I'm going to stop worrying about it right now and get on with it for an hour then have another think."

Its kind of mental games to play to help you just get on with getting something done. Once you're in the flow it might get easier and worse case scenario is you hand in something that passes rather than distinction but at least you have something to hand in!

Branleuse Sat 06-Jul-13 10:05:07

i have one to finish by monday. I have done one paragraph

Thanks for replying.

I've done the plan and could do it with a little bit of stress in a week but it's the tiredness. I know I can if I just do it every evening and nap times. (Am doing a psychology access course).

Emailed my tutor the plan and had to rectify some bits so that meant scrapping my original first page or so of the essay and starting again...Hence the massive panic blush

His dad is having him for a rare night this eve so will crack on then too.

This is so much harder than pre DC but it will be worth it!

TwasBrillig Sat 06-Jul-13 10:16:25

I did a psych degree with OU - it was ace smile It's worth sticking with, fab choice!

Excellent that your tutor has seen your plan, it means that you now know you will be on the right tracks with it!

Good or this evening, make sure you have everything ready to hand - snack, drink etc, nothing urgent to do so you can just settle into it and get on with it.

Well done, sounds like you can do it smile

It's been so enjoyable and interesting so far (as well as hard work) so I'm really happy with it overall smile

DS is 2 so usually not too bad. Just when he's ill! (And he has a health condition that sometimes crops up but it's manageable).

Delayingtactic Sat 06-Jul-13 10:32:05

I take my hat off to you. I've recently just sat some exams (I'd failed twice before) and I completely underestimated how difficult it would be revising with a two year old. And i was fortunate that I had a DH who came home on weekends.

When I was doing essays I would do rough drafts and progressively bulk it out with evidence to back up my argument. So I'd start out with a sheet just with just the main point written down and then a sort of flow diagram showing my train of thought (for, against, dissenting views, etc) so that the essay would flow.

SunshineBossaNova Sat 06-Jul-13 10:35:39

You can do it OP! smile

I did a number of courses with the OU and I remember the EMA panic. There's some good advice upthread, I would just add something that helped me. I find I work best in short bursts, so I set a time for 25 minutes, have a 10 minute break and then do another 25 minutes.

Thanks. We have to send a proper plan with just bullet points etc before we start on this one but I stupidly decided to write some of the essay anyway grin

DS seems to just get ill before every essay is due but he did just start nursery so is cold central! smile

TwasBrillig Sat 06-Jul-13 10:41:17

Being able to write a good organised plan is a really useful skill, and will help as you go through the years into the trickier essays.

If you have a good plan, with bullet points, examples ready etc it shouldn't take you long to actually write the essay as its all in the plan. The plan is. If hard bit and you've already done that!

To be honest it is always the plan I find hardest. Everything falls into place after that and it's just the final tweaking and word count that are a bit tricky.

I'm just very aware of the fact I have half the amount of time I usually set aside for it and it's the most important essay of the course! smile

TwasBrillig Sat 06-Jul-13 10:55:47

Stop thinking about the time left! You've got all evening to get a first draft done so you will be fine, instead keep reminding yourself of what you've just said, the plan is the hardest bit and its easier now.

You can do it. Keep countering the negative thoughts and then just sit down and crack on with it this evening.

I had to fight the negative self talk right until the end!!

I'm normally much more 'get on with it then thin about how hard it is/was' but I haven't been this tired since I started the course so am just a bit zapped I think.

Thought posting here would help and it has smile so that's one thing

I've restarted smoking though...DP's gran died last week which has added some extra pressure (we don't live together atm for money reasons but i've been supporting him a lot this week & it has been stressful in itself, for both of us). I almost quit and was down to 1 a day, in the evening.

Sounds bad but it's helped with the stress of this week to not also be trying to quit smoking. I'm sure i'll conquer it when I've not got so much going on and DS is 20 and has moved out grin

coldwater1 Sun 07-Jul-13 10:45:59

Not recommended but i did a couple of my ou essays in one evening due to ill kids, got good grades too! Not ideal as i say but can be done in a week.

TwasBrillig Sun 07-Jul-13 12:06:36

How far did you get last night? Did you get a first draft done?

I've redone my plan as it was pants and done most of the essay plus some editing along the way. Feeling much better about it now though.

Funeral tomorrow though sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now