Anyone else really nervous about starting full time uni this year? I'm going to be the oldest one there, aren't i?

(27 Posts)
TurnThatFrownUpsideDown Sat 22-Jun-13 14:36:04

So i got accepted on to a very competitive undergraduate course.

Of course, i'm over the moon! But as September draws nearer, I'm totally freaking out.

1) I'm going to have to give up work and rely on my bursary/loan.

2) My dd is only a baby (well, she's 5) and has high-functioning autism. She's doing well at school, but i'm worried about her going into wraparound care for 5 days a week. Just now, i'm able to work my shifts around school time.

3) I have a feeling that my class will be full of school leavers. I'll be 24 when the course starts- hardly ancient - but i'll feel it compared to the teens around me.

4) I'm worried i'm not smart enough. Looking at all of the classes in 1st year, they all seem really complex and science-y.

5) I have to go through the stress of applying to SAAS. No idea why i'm putting it all off.

6) I haven't had any correspondence from the uni yet - just UCAS. Looking at their website (uni), they say that my registration invitation should arrive a few weeks before classes start.

7) I've no idea when i'll get my timetable. So how do i know for a fact whether or not i need 5 days childcare?

8) I'm worried that I'll not make friends and will have to eat lunch alone etc. blush

9) I'm worried I'll get lost and miss the first week of classes.

10) I'm worried I'll be the class bore. Due to the low class number, i can't expect many of them will be lone parents like me. So i anticipate i'll be the one being left out of social gatherings/student nights out etc. I don't particularly want to go out with 18 yos anyway, but that's not the point.

Argh! I'm really excited and passionate about this course. And it will thrust me into an excellent career. Would love to talk to someone in a similar situation please.

When I started my FdA 3 years ago, 4 out of the 9 students on my course were mature students aged between 31 and 49. The whole group evolved into an incredibly tight knit and mutually supportive team.

The younger students had all ended up on our FdA (Foundation Degree) course through clearing, because they had failed to get the A level grades needed to get onto honours degree courses. Us mature students were there because the course was vocational and we were passionate about our subject! smile. We were able to provide a huge amount of practical and emotional support to the youngsters. They are lovely kids!

Fast forward 3 years, all of us FdA students - young and old - 'progressed' onto a 3rd year of study, to get an honours degree.

We ALL graduated with 2.1s or Firsts last month!!

cafecito Mon 12-Aug-13 00:39:32

I was your age in my first year of this degree. I have friends ranging from 18 to 49 on the same course. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now