Is there any benefit in getting a dyspraxia diagnosis at this stage?

(2 Posts)
hurricanewyn Tue 21-May-13 21:21:47

My son has recently been given a dyspraxia diagnosis & I share a lot of his symptoms - clumsiness, inability to tell left from right, rubbish fine motor skills & a crap pen grip.

I'm in my final year of University and a friend there, who is dyslexic (diagnosed in Uni), is encouraging me to see if I could get a diagnosis through student support.

TBH, I'm not sure there'd be any benefit to it. If I was diagnosed I may be entitled to extra time in my final exams or perhaps be able to do the exam on a laptop instead of by longhand. But it costs £250 so I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

So, is there something I'm missing? Should I pursue a diagnosis or continue on as normal?

Hi,
I too have a mild form of Dyspraxia (higher fuctioning) and was not diagnosed until the age of 34. Up until then I had never heard of the condition but once I had been diagnosed it explained a few things in my case: clumsyness, not a natural at sports/physical activities, naturally disorganised to name but a few!
I would highly reccomend getting an official diagnosis as even though it took me a while to come to terms with it, it has helped me to develop coping strategies/mechanisms. eg physical activities in my case are not impossible but more a case of repitition until ingrained and my organisational skills are greatly assisted with to do lists and diaries!
However what I am finding frustrating at the moment is that my sisters 12 yr old son is displaying several indicators of dyspraxia as well as my sister. Despite my trying to reason with her & her husband she refuses to make further enquiries.
But its not all doom & gloom, I have a good job, car & own my own home & in addition to this my own GP has expressed that he thinks that there are many people who have not been diagnosed.
good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now