I can't afford an MA <<self indulgent wail>>

(8 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 15-May-13 14:28:08

That's it really. September will see the third year of my four year degree, I do plan to a PGCE but I love uni, have inspiring staff in my department. I am doing well and could do an MA. I so want to, but at 7-8k a year (part time two years).

It is fine, I can fit it in whenever I might have time down the line but I just don't want to leave. Ever!

RiotsNotDiets Thu 16-May-13 00:52:42

If you did it full time could you maybe get a scholarship or something?

Naoko Thu 16-May-13 01:04:24

Try for a grant? They're rare and competitive but they do still exist, you have nothing to lose! Your department should be able to point you in the direction of funding sources, talk to whoever deals with postgrad admissions.

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 20-May-13 11:32:45

Thanks. You are right and when the time comes I will try, as you said I have nothing to lose. I really can't imagine life without uni but my uni does do some brilliant short courses too that I could finance. I just don't want to stop learning.

JaquelineHyde Mon 20-May-13 11:34:50

I'm currently doing the 2 year MA in Social Work which is mainly funded by an NHS Bursary and comes with living grants as well.

Have you considered Social Work?

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 20-May-13 12:10:45

I am studying history and likely to go into teaching. The MA is for me rather than vocational, although if I do really well I harbour a secret desire for a PhD so I guess my career path would change slightly.

Overall it is just about an achievement for me.

AriaB Mon 20-May-13 13:42:21

I hear you. I desperately want to do one for no reason other than personal gain and achievement (I don't need it for my future career!). But zero way of affording one, ever. So after my PGCE and then NQT year I'm vaguelly considering a Masters in Social Work since it will vaguely relate to my career (SEN teaching) but also is funded. i have no intention of becoming a SW though

JaquelineHyde Mon 20-May-13 13:50:20

I love studying and wanted to continue after finishing my degree a few years ago. Luckily for me though I wanted to be a SW so the MA in SW was perfect for me.

I suspect after a few years settling in to my SW role I will be looking at doing my Phd and will find myself in a similar position to you. Oh well I will tackle that problem when I get to it, I had better make sure I finish the MA first smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now