Three different options for QTS - I'm not sure which

(5 Posts)
ImpYCelyn Tue 30-Apr-13 13:05:39

I've been offered a school direct place for next year, which I've accepted. They've just got in touch to say they have three different training possibilities:

QTS alone
PGCE
PGCE + 60 MA credits

They cost slightly different amounts.

I'm going to have to apply for a loan to cover the fees which I was expecting to be £9000 anyway (the cost of PGCE + MA credits).

Is it worth doing the full lot? They say that schools "may" support you to finish your MA as part of CPD, and that the 60 credits "may" be considered Accredited Prior Learning - but I'm not overly keen on doing it if it's going to be worthless.

Anyone have any experience please?

Sianilaa Mon 20-May-13 12:22:34

I think it depends whether you are sure you want to do an MA or not afterwards. If you're sure you want to, then might be worth doing the extra credit but otherwise I wouldn't create any extra work for yourself unless absolutely necessary. It'll be enough work as it is!

I would probably go for the straight PGCE to be honest, but then I'm probably biased as it's what I've got! smile

AriaB Mon 20-May-13 13:40:19

^ wss. If you see yourself wanting a Masters at some point in the future, do it. It's a 1/3 of the credits you'll need. You have to do the same work for option 2 + 3 anyway, just on option 3 it will be marked at a higher level.

ImpYCelyn Mon 20-May-13 15:32:56

Thank you!

I've gone for the MA option. It's possible DH will want to return to France at some point and amongst other things I'd need a Masters to teach there.

Also because when I managed to get a specification I realised I was going to have to do the work regardless, so I might as well aim for the slightly higher standard and hope I can manage it.

AriaB Mon 20-May-13 19:36:00

Exactly smile good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now