Who wants to start a study support thread for the next couple of months?

(40 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Sat 27-Apr-13 23:02:05

I have 6 weeks of hell in front of me and really need someone to keep me motivated. I have so much to do that I panic even thinking about it but if I use every spare minute, I should manage.

I'm studying Psychology with the OU, work 3 days a week, have a 15 months old and a super stressed DH who is in the last few months of his PhD!

My deadlines are as follows:

by May 18th, I must have
-worked through the last course book for module A, including all sorts of silly activities
-done an online quiz
-done most of my assignment for module A
-made revision cards for exam for module A
-kept up-to date with reading and activities for module B

by May 20th, I must have
-handed in the assignment for module A

by June 4th, I must have
-finished revision of module A (it's the day of the exam)
-have made a start with the assignment for module B

by June 10th, I must have
-handed in the assignment for module B

On the 11th, we go away for a few days before I need to start working towards some more deadlines. But this is what I need to do in the next 6 weeks.

I can study when DD naps, a couple of hours when she's in bed, and about 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon. That's it. Can't ask DH for any more time. Oh dear. Trying not to weep.

Who wants to join me?

krazipan Thu 16-May-13 10:47:12

I am completing my degree in nursing ( already have my advanced diploma). I am then thinking of going for my masters but the thought of that makes me cry! My DS is 10 but is definitely acting like a teen more often than not hmm. What job do you do MrsHuxtable? My friend started a job 5 months pregnant and they were ok with her but she didn't qualify for mat pay.

hugoagogo Thu 16-May-13 11:27:09

I have just submitted my last assignment for A200 just the exam to go.

The only trouble is I can't remember a thing from the beginning of the course-was there something about Burgundy? confused

Nice to see some activity here in student parents, it's been so quiet this year.
<waves at strawberry even though I have namechanged and she won't recognise me>

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 20-May-13 11:29:38

MrsHux big bug congrats.

Had my first exam on Friday. It was ok, if I had just read my essay I would have been able to answer a different question and do better but it wasn't terrible.

Next exam tomorrow so just looking over note cards whenever I have a minute.

I am hoping to devise a new strategy next year.

1. Take good notes by hand.
2. Type notes ( will have revised them)
3. Every other week condense notes to cards (revised again).
4. Every other week read through notes to date.
5. Once a month answer a past exam question.

Am hoping this will make it easier when we get to April and I need to revise.

Thought I would share as it might help someone else.

Third year for me and this is where it starts to count for more and is harder. I have picked two modules with lecturers I know I wi want to impress.

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 22-May-13 16:37:59

Had my last exam yesterday. Feel so relieved. Now have a core module after half term and then prep for next year.

Good luck to everyone still revising etc.

hugoagogo Sun 26-May-13 18:28:09

Have had a boost getting my essay mark back!

Revising is going ok I think although I had hoped to condense a blocks worth of notes onto cards, but all I have achieved is listening to an in our time on the Diet of Worms and cleaning the bathroom. hmm

Well done everyone else! smile

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 27-May-13 21:11:17

If it is any consolation my bathroom was scummy for a lot of the year especially at revision time&#11015;.

ColdWindsOfSuburbia Sun 02-Jun-13 02:03:01

Don't go quiet - little thread-ski.

Lurkers and posters; we're all in the poo.

Lifeisontheup Sun 02-Jun-13 05:04:00

Is anyone doing the SDK 125 exam on tuesday? I'm really struggling with revision for it. sad

thepurplepenguin Sun 02-Jun-13 15:24:38

My exams start tomorrow. 3 hours each day for four consecutive days. The only positive I can think of is that it'll be over quickly....

sad

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 07-Jun-13 13:41:59

Yes, quickly is key.

I have a core module that I have to do through June but it is pretty basic. Have started my reading for October as I need to keep my momentum.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 07-Jun-13 13:42:19

Good luck to all if you with exams to go.

hugoagogo Sun 09-Jun-13 21:39:18

Arggh my exam is on Thursday, I have not revised enough. My cat is dying of cancer and I am working tomorrow and Tuesday. <wails>

SilveryMoon Sat 15-Jun-13 22:32:31

Hi.
Sorry to hear about your cat hugo sad
I've just been looking through threads to get an idea about studying at degree level. I have registered with the OU on the BA childhood and youth studies.
I just wanted to ask those of you with the ou, some of the modules I'll choose have exams, but it says no residential school. Does that mean I do the exams at home, or do I attend some sort of centre for them?

cafecito Mon 12-Aug-13 01:03:06

Hello is anyone still here? smile

CircassianLeyla Wed 21-Aug-13 16:07:42

Just checking in... Mixedmama nc here.

Results are in and I got a high 2.1 and a First on the nose. Very very pleased.

Good luck all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now