Who wants to start a study support thread for the next couple of months?

(40 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Sat 27-Apr-13 23:02:05

I have 6 weeks of hell in front of me and really need someone to keep me motivated. I have so much to do that I panic even thinking about it but if I use every spare minute, I should manage.

I'm studying Psychology with the OU, work 3 days a week, have a 15 months old and a super stressed DH who is in the last few months of his PhD!

My deadlines are as follows:

by May 18th, I must have
-worked through the last course book for module A, including all sorts of silly activities
-done an online quiz
-done most of my assignment for module A
-made revision cards for exam for module A
-kept up-to date with reading and activities for module B

by May 20th, I must have
-handed in the assignment for module A

by June 4th, I must have
-finished revision of module A (it's the day of the exam)
-have made a start with the assignment for module B

by June 10th, I must have
-handed in the assignment for module B

On the 11th, we go away for a few days before I need to start working towards some more deadlines. But this is what I need to do in the next 6 weeks.

I can study when DD naps, a couple of hours when she's in bed, and about 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon. That's it. Can't ask DH for any more time. Oh dear. Trying not to weep.

Who wants to join me?

geologygirl Sat 27-Apr-13 23:07:25

Me! I need to finish revision for exams. I have 5 modules in geology and am finding it hard to stay focused! I work full time and have a 2yr old so am trying to do 3hrs per night. So much to get through and im currently on MN and watching rubbish on telly! Not good....aaarrrrgh!

geologygirl Sat 27-Apr-13 23:09:27

You seem very organised by the way....at least you have a clear plan and know your deadlines. Im kind if floating around and its all uphill!

MrsHuxtable Sat 27-Apr-13 23:16:07

Thank God I'm not alone!!!

Organised! Haha! I just made that plan up while typing. I figure it'll help me if I can visualize what I need to be doing when.

Working full time, 5 modules! You must be superwoman!

What sort of timeframe do you have for your revision?

I've just wasted 2 bloody hours on MN. Can't believe it. I'm going to bed now as I'm working early tomorrow morning and DD still feeds through the night. Let's keep this thread going. I'm sure it'll be a big help to us.

I'm in.

Have OU exam in 6 weeks, deferred from last year. Haven't looked at it since I deferred. It's going to be painful.

Also have 3 TMAs due for my current module during those 6 weeks.

Plus have to be working on my ECA.

Beginning to feel somewhat pressured. Especially as I have a driving test/theory test in a couple of weeks, and two family weekends that I can't get out of, plus DH is going to be away over the half term just before my exam.

Just shoot me now actually...

geologygirl Sun 28-Apr-13 15:25:33

Well I have exams from mid May to mid June. Ive made a good start but so much more to get through and its overwhelming! I just need to make sure I utilise my time in the evenings and keep on track. I find it hard to stay focussed and start finding all sorts of other things to do around the house, in order to avoid revising!

Lets deffo keep the thread going and use it for motivation! We can do it!

Shambala44 Mon 29-Apr-13 12:14:01

Me! I have 2 weeks to write 6,500 words then am taking a break over the summer and doing my dissertation Sept-Jan. If I don't give up that is! Am so sick of sitting at computer, especially as weather getting better. Also v hard to work in the evening as so knackered. x

thepurplepenguin Mon 29-Apr-13 15:46:51

Me toooooo...!

Am in 2nd year of the Graduate Diploma in Law. Have finished dissertation but now have to contend with four exams on four consecutive days starting 3rd June. Argh!

I've done a revision timetable and seem to be on track, but I'm struggling with motivation, insomnia, my job and childcare arrangements. Actually it seems even worse now I've written it down!

Hope everyone else is doing ok...

MrsHuxtable Mon 29-Apr-13 19:55:33

Hello, how is everyone doing?

Nice to see some more people joining.

Am quite annoyed with myself. I finished work yesterday already in the afternoon so had a long study session planned but before I knew it, it was 9 pm and nothing was done. So instead of the 30+ pages I had planned to get through in my course book, I only managed 12! Pathetic.

DD is off to bed now so I will hopefully have a more successful night tonight. I have a tub of peanut butter ice cream to help me. Hahaha.

Will update before I go to bed what I have managed to do. Hopefully that will shame me into being super productive.

geologygirl Mon 29-Apr-13 23:47:30

Evening all - I've been rubbish today as well. Only managed an hour this evening and then got sidetracked by Game of Thrones. blush

I then spent ages faffing around on the laptop, just looking at random sites etc!

For the rest of this month Im going to do 8-11pm revision each night. I need to get back on track....and fast! Im watching revision lectures on the tube into work as well, so hopefully that will help with info sinking into my brain!

MrsHux, sounds like you're not doing too badly. 12 pages is pretty good going. At least you did SOMETHING. Hope you managed to stick to your plan this evening anyway...

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 01-May-13 14:02:51

Joining this thread.

Two exams in May. They are history exams and I have a timetable that I revise accordingly and it is going ok but I need to be a little more strict in the evenings. Luckily we have just finished the latest Game of Thrones box set so I shouldn't be distracted by Love Film,

I have a topic to do some last reading and organisation of notes for this evening then plan to spend one hour answering a past exam question on a topic I have finished my reading for.

Good luck all.

geologygirl Fri 03-May-13 16:32:24

Just checking in and trying to keep the thread alive wink

How is everyone doing at the moment?

I've stuck to my plan quite well and am feeling relatively confident. 2 exams next week to begin with, so trying to focus on getting a good 3 hours solid tonight. I got up early this morning before work and did 2 hours and went through a couple of tough past exam paper questions.

More of the same tonight. Im getting there but have a terrible headache...refuse to let it disrupt me though!

MrsHuxtable Fri 03-May-13 22:34:14

Hello everyone!

Good to hear you're getting on well geology!

I'm quite pleased with my progress. I have now finished my last course book for Module A and done the online assessment quiz. Also made a start on some study cards.

I could have done more but DD is teething. Molars! She's upset and clingy, wimpering in her sleep, poor baby. So last night (we co-sleep) I stayed in the bed with her and was trying to study with a little torch while she was sleeping. Hahahaha. Very efficient you can imagine!

Am now off to make a start with the assignment for module A. With any luck I can finish it within the next 3 days!

MrsHuxtable Fri 03-May-13 22:55:38

God! There are 15 questions in my assignment! Luckily short ones but still.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 03-May-13 23:31:12

I have a library day tomorrow where I intend to complete and organise my notes ready for practice questions throughout the week. 14 days until my first exam ... Eek!

MrsHuxtable Sat 04-May-13 22:56:04

What a write-off this day has been!!!! I have done nothing, nada, silch! And I so wanted to be finished with the assignment tomorrow night. DD's teething has been awful. I had about 4 hours of sleep last night and then tonight, she only went to sleep at 10! Now I'm too tired to do much and also have work from 9:30 til 3:30 tomorrow.

Feeling quite down about it.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 05-May-13 08:40:27

MrsHuxtable - don't feel down. You are doing great. Stuff just happens and you have to write it off and begin a new day. Reassess your plan and tweak accordingly. It will be fine, you will get it done.

thepurplepenguin Tue 07-May-13 09:31:04

Hope everyone had a fab bank holiday weekend.

Mine felt a bit meh because I revised for pretty much all of it, but I got a lot done so it was worth it!

Umming and ahhing about whether to go to the library today or stay home. Hmm. Much more productive at the library I suppose...

mixedmamameansbusiness Tue 07-May-13 10:00:09

Purple - library always. Although my friends always seem to be in and our coffee breaks inevitably become at least 45 mins.

Good luck.

MrsHuxtable Sun 12-May-13 21:09:34

Anyone still around?

I've been quiet myself the last few days, mainly because I was lacking motivation. Urgh. Finally handed in the assignment for module A so am now making study cards for the exam. Then I will have to try and catch up with 3 weeks of module B.

Am so tired!

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 13-May-13 07:00:58

MrsHuxtable - still around.

Made my record cards for module A yesterday. Exam is Friday. Will spend most evening and Thursday doing past papers just trying to recall the info.

I have been calm and relaxed but am starting to get a bit apprehensive now.

I also feel disconcerted because the timetable for the coming year hasn't come out yet.

MrsHuxtable Wed 15-May-13 17:00:27

I've still not finished the study cards and my new aim is to finish them for next week Tuesday. That'll give me two weeks to revise with them. Am panicking a bit because I realised how behind I am with module B. Am now trying to catch up a bit with that.

My study efforts have been majorly interrupted due to both DD and me having a cold. Oh, and I just got a BFP yesterday so there's every chance I'll have morning sickness, if not Hyperemesis on the day of the exam (had Hyperemesis the whole of my first pregnancy).

krazipan Wed 15-May-13 18:13:48

Is it too late to join in? confused
I am trying to get in the zone and work on my dissertation. I am currently working full time as a nurse and I'm a single mum to my DS. I'm starting to think I have bitten off more than I can chew and would appreciate somewhere to offload to people who understand what I'm going through! smile

krazipan Wed 15-May-13 18:14:28

Oh and congrats mrshuxtable!

MrsHuxtable Wed 15-May-13 21:17:34

No, it's not too late. Welcome krazipan!

What are you studying? It does sound like you have an awful lot to deal with. How old is your DS?

I'm feeling miserable with this cold. I feel like I just want to cry at the sheer amount of work I have to do while DD and I are so poorly. She will, no doubt, be up loads tonight and just want to be attached to my boob (I still feed her). Wondering if this could already be pregnancy hormones making me feel all emotional.

'm also a bit worried as I have to hide my pregnancy for as long as possible at work. I only started working there a couple of months ago and I feel awful about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now