Access and referencing question

(4 Posts)
Madsometimes Wed 24-Apr-13 08:28:43

I'm doing a science access course, so most of my references are either from scientific journals or from text books in my college library. I use google scholar for scientific journals. Although many of them are not free to download, I can normally find enough that are. I don't know much about referencing in an arts subject though.

Are you part way through your access course or thinking of starting one? Your tutors should be giving you tips on where to get references from. For me, a wonderful free resource is the Wellcome library in Euston. This is a university standard library that anyone can use, but is only any good for life sciences really.

Google scholars ok for some journal articles but as long as they are published in a journal you can reference that, not the website. If you have athens access sites like Wiley Interscience and PubMed are great for journal articles and amazon and google books often have search inside options on their books. I may have used this and pretended to have read the whole book blush

salcz Thu 18-Apr-13 08:21:04

I used my local library during my access course, along with the internet. As long as thw website it correctly referenced it should be fine.

Could anyone tell me how you go about doing referencing when you dont have access to a uni library? Do people use google scholar, I am confident I can do the level of work but really worried about the referencing side of it, I have to acheive 45 distinctions out of 48 credits and I know I wont acheive these wothout the correct referencing. Any help greatly appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now