ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Anyone starting post-grad Teacher Training in September??

(6 Posts)
fooledagaincantbelieveit Sun 14-Apr-13 21:04:44

Hi all!

After a hugely traumatic year (split from 'D'H, two kids and now divorced. Kids don't see dad but I live near my parents and they help me out a lot) I have followed my dream of always wanting to be a teacher, and through a lot of woluntary work in schools, preparation (for interviews and skills tests) I have secured a place on School Direct (new Teacher Training scheme, based in schools) from September. Am sooooooo excited, but terrified too!
Anyone know much about grants/finance? I have applied through student finance UK (what a bloody farce that is - BE WARNED!!!).
Any tips for bursaries and grant applications would be welcomed.
Anyway, I just thought it'd be nice to go on this journey with some others!
Hope there are some future teachers reading this! smile
Thanks xxxx

mumandboys123 Sat 20-Apr-13 12:28:06

what level are you teaching?

I am doing a PGCE this year - I have a ton of money. Can't spend it all! However, I am training in a shortage area at secondary level so my bursary was huge. You should get 80% of your childcare paid, full student loan, a grant on top and also the special support grant and the parent's learning allowance. These are not counted as income for tax credit purposes so you would get full tax credit on top. You should also retain an eligibility for housing benefit although I don't know how that works with what is included as income and what isn't. I don't have to pay council tax as I'm classed as a full time student but I don't know how that will work with the new scheme - worth asking about. I have been very lucky with it from a financial perspective - I got rejected from the GTP and was devastated but realise now I am better off this way. I have also secured a job for September - so life gets better, and it's certainly been worth it. Good luck!

Me too fooledagain! I've just been offered a place on School Direct (unsalaried, sadly) to train for primary. I don't know for sure which will be my host school but it hopefully will be pretty local. Following redundancy, I'm volunteering three days a week at my DD's local school which is very active in SD.

Luckily I have savings to get me through next year but will also apply for a bursary to reduce the fees. Haven't started any of the paperwork yet. I'd be interested in finding out some more about the grants mumandboys123 mentions. Congratulations on getting a job for September, what a relief that must be.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Wed 24-Apr-13 13:24:17

Another School Direct (unsalaried) person here starting in September! Worryingly, had interview and then verbal offer in lovely phone call from teh school four weeks ago, but still no written confirmation from the University. The school has chased them up by email (copying me), and am slightly anxious - is it normal to have no cimmunication from them...?
Am hoping to get a bursary as mine is an in-demand subject, but complication is that school wants sto offer me additioanlly a few paid hours for another subject, and don't know if I can do that or if it will affect the bursary - aaagh! (Have said would be happ to do them unpaid if so, for the experience, and because the school is in a deprived area where every penny counts) Teaching Agency website uselss, have rung the premier support 'helpline' but they have no idea and just told me to talk to the Univeristy... hope your situation is better!

Hello MrsSM (love your name, DP and I are big fans of Monty), nice to know there's another one out there!

I was offered a place during my one-to-one interview, although apparently it was only the first part of a two stage process. Haven't had anything more formal than that. However the head of the school where I'm volunteering spoke to me the following Monday (interview on the Saturday) to congratulate me, so I guess the University person had already been in contact.

Doing the volunteering is really good and made me confident that I definitely do want to be a teacher. I was with Year 6 this morning which was brilliant, the rest of the time I'm in Year 4.

fooledagaincantbelieveit Wed 24-Apr-13 21:58:22

Hi All!
Thanks for your replies - and it's great to know that there are others taking the scary but hugely exciting step.
Yes my placement is unsalaried sad BUT I am looking at it as an investment in my future and am taking time now to research all the available help.
I will teaching KS2 + MFLs at KS3 - I had tried to get a PGCE for MFL at secondary level, but sadly couldn't (amazingly - given it's a shortage subject!!).
MrsSM - I agree about the Teaching Agency website. Total waste of tax payer's money I reckon. They have done nothing to help me.
Congrats mumsandboys123 - good for you! And especially well done for getting a job in Sept. Are you on your own with children? How have you found the PGCE year - I keep getting told horror stories about how much work people get. Is it true??
Anyway, I'm off to get CRB checked at my school tomorrow, can't wait!
Oh, and I haven't heard anything from the University to which the school is affiliated - I'll be asking about that tomorrow too.
Keep in touch everyone? Would be good to support each other!
Best wishes, xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now