Masters dissertation - aargh! Research done aeons ago, only now writing up

(24 Posts)
violetbean Mon 22-Apr-13 20:36:46

Ditto! :-)

Salbertina Mon 22-Apr-13 08:34:06

You're welcome, MissM and thanks, you too!

MissMogwi Sun 21-Apr-13 18:35:26

Well I almost cried when I handed it in and it took me two days to relax afterwards. I'm not normally such a drama queen honest. blushgrin

Thanks for the support both of you, good luck with the rest of your work!

Salbertina Fri 19-Apr-13 16:11:57

Yes, damn the need for coherence! T

Respect, though, VB- 80,000 words is a very big deal...

violetbean Wed 17-Apr-13 16:34:49

Congrats MissM, that's awesome! Hope handing in feels liberating. smile

It's not so much about the word count as about the coherence of the work, I reckon. 12,000 / 20,000 words has to be just as coherent and complete as 80,000, so it's pretty damn hard to write a dissertation/thesis of any length!

MissMogwi Wed 17-Apr-13 10:38:45

No, she's only binding it grin

Got to wait until 1pm for it, then go and hand it in. I will probably cry when I give it in like the wreck I am.

I take my hat off to you two with such massive workloads. I was considering a Masters but I need a break now!

Currently sat in the cafe reading Take a Break, with a huge muffin and coffee.
I just thought maybe I'll go and study for my May exam,while I wait...and then I laughed out loud like a crazed woman and thought better of it.

Salbertina Wed 17-Apr-13 10:29:55

Didn't you want to kiss her? grin Got those jaffa cakes yet? How does freedom feel?!

MissMogwi Wed 17-Apr-13 10:16:45

Blimey and here's me whining about 12,000 blush

Just handed it in for binding and was eyeballing the woman as though I was leaving my baby with her.

Salbertina Wed 17-Apr-13 09:48:14

Am on same deadline but a mere 20,000 words shock

violetbean Wed 17-Apr-13 09:41:58

Deadline is Nov, field is social studies. Only 79,600 words left to write, hehehe...

Salbertina Wed 17-Apr-13 09:20:13

VB- whats yr deadline and yr area?

Salbertina Wed 17-Apr-13 09:19:39

Oh MissM, well done! All have last minute doubts, don't worry- hand it in and enjoy those jaffa cakes grin

MissMogwi Wed 17-Apr-13 09:04:29

Well I didn't get it done for Monday, then had a printer nightmare yesterday. So it's finally going in now, I'm doubting all my work now and stressing myself out!

However, in it will go and I will lie in a darkened room and eat Jaffa cakes.

violetbean Sun 14-Apr-13 19:09:17

I'm doing a PhD. Has taken way longer than it should have done, bleeurgh!

MissMogwi Sun 14-Apr-13 12:03:05

I'm so, so tired. Hoping to get it done for tomorrow, but my eyes are suffering. It's not due until Weds so I do have a few more days, but I have other work to hand in and it's a two hour round trip.

Just having a coffee and biscuit (and moaning) break before I carry on.

Salbertina Sun 14-Apr-13 10:17:02

Thanks,VB, shall check that out! What are you studying?

Good luck today MM!

I plan to get back to it on tues.

MissMogwi Sat 13-Apr-13 09:46:53

Ooh thanks Violet, I will take a look. Although it might be too late for me!

Yep I'm done for good on Monday. I'm considering going back and doing an MA, maybe next year. We'll see.
When are you finished?

violetbean Sat 13-Apr-13 07:21:57

If you haven't already you might want to check out the 'Phinished' website, a community of people struggling to finish dissertations and PhD theses. Some good tips on that forum to help you focus. Sorry can't link, am on mobile. Hope it goes well, remember step by step, word by word and it will eventually be done.

I find the pomodoro method works pretty well, you could google it? I use to track my progress.

Salbertina Sat 13-Apr-13 07:11:54

So true,MissM, whole damn edifice crumbles. So are you done for good on Mon then?

MissMogwi Fri 12-Apr-13 15:14:52

That's it though isn't it. Once you start thinking what's the point, it all crumbles! It's the same when someone asks you what it's about, they look at you like 'What the fuck?' Good times.

I'm aiming to hand in Monday, as I have two other pieces of work due in then (thanks uni guys). So, will be grafting all weekend to get it finished and ready for binding on Monday.

Salbertina Fri 12-Apr-13 10:14:58

MissM- oh good luck, freedom. Is in sight for you then though super busy horrible weekend i imagine! Ate you celebrating or sleeping weds night?!
Glad am not alone no longer caring about what my dissertation stands for - had felt it was rather lightweight of me. Why is this research important? Well fuck me, it probably isn't and is likely to be read by an audience of one.. Still, gets me that piece of paper!

MissMogwi Thu 11-Apr-13 15:55:41

I'm here. My dissertation is due on Wednesday. I hate it and all it stands for. Got piles of books, notes etc but the words, they will not come. On the last chapter now, but my heads gone. I've used up all my clever, as my DD says.

When is yours due in? Have a brew coffee, obviously!

Salbertina Thu 11-Apr-13 12:25:55

Bump? Anyone want to hold hands on getting thro process?

Salbertina Thu 11-Apr-13 11:24:39

And feel I've forgotten much of my findings, theories, recommendations etc etc plus, i no longer give a flying f*ck

Trying to make sense of it all, to find a cohesive thread, to marshall my thoughts and to type but keep MNing/fbing instead. Help?!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now