Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

considering postgrad study - how do I decide if it's for me?

(3 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Apr-13 14:38:36

And a massive congrats on getting through, that must have been an immense workload

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 10-Apr-13 14:37:59

Only you can answer i guess.

I am just on my first degree now but absolutely convinced that I will be doing an MA in history. Why, because I just can't imagine not bring here at uni, writing or researching. I love the academic staff that we have and I just love studying and do not want to stop. Sept I will start my third year and have felt this way from the beginning.

I also feel that for me having a BA is only part of the way particularly when so many people go to university these days so am MA gives me something extra. Although it is also about my own self esteem and achievement.

I hope that helps a little.

Good luck whatever you decide.

beansmum Wed 10-Apr-13 00:53:55

I'm in my last year of a double degree BA/LLB - I will graduate in December (In NZ, different academic year). I feel like I've spent most of my time/enthusiasm on my law degree and just done enough work to get by with my BA (classics and history). I've got good grades though, good enough to do an MA in classics if I want to. Do I want to?

I feel like I want to actually learn something now, and concentrate on one subject for a bit. Doing two degrees with no particular focus in either has meant I haven't got a particularly deep knowledge of anything. I know I'd enjoy extra study and I can probably deal with the financial issues for at least another year. But I don't NEED another qualification. I want to be a family solicitor - nothing more ambitious than that.

What is the point of this post? Just thinking aloud really. Those of you who have done further study - why did you do it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now