Really wondering why the hell I bothered doing this degree.

(13 Posts)
MimmeeBack Sat 06-Apr-13 11:28:27

Thank you all for your replies.
Yes Anything you are probably right there. All of a sudden, after 3 years, I have 1 month until it is all over.
I have been in education constantly for 17 years so I think the prospect of not doing anything is very daunting at the moment.
Also feeling guilty about probably having to take DD out of nursery as she absolutely loves it and has lots of friends sad

Am going to keep looking for learning support jobs etc but a lot of them require experience that I don't have.

TheYamiOfYolk Sat 06-Apr-13 08:42:44

Most of the best teachers I know didn't do a PGCE straight after graduation, but worked as learning support assistants for a year or two before training.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 05-Apr-13 23:21:34

Please don't take this the wrong way, but is this pre exam existential panic?

I only ask because I started uni with a 4 year old, became a single parent te day I went back for my second year, and had occasional (and often timely) panics like this.

That's not to say your feelings aren't valid, and that you don't need answers to these questions, just maybe that they feel really really desperate because of the added finals panic.

I did a similar degree (European studies with German - prob outed myself there ...) and its led me quite neatly (also accidentally) into public sector tender/bid writing/management. I never thought I'd get here when I dropped out of 6th form to have my ds!

Concentrate on getting the best degree you can right now. Graduates are always well placed to enter a variety of industries, and politics is a well respected subject. You'll get there!

(And I think that's probably me completely outed with those details. Oh well)

messybedhead Fri 05-Apr-13 23:14:43

It's worth a try. Don't give up. Also depending on where you are in the country, your choices might be limited in terms of travel.

But don't let the prestige of your first choice university stop you trying for other places; my PGCert was from a London University, but not the best one, and it didn't affect my job chances at all.

MimmeeBack Fri 05-Apr-13 21:16:14

Would I be likely to get a place that way do you think?

I finish exams in early May, so if I can find somewhere that would take me, I could get some experience before summer.

hedgefund Fri 05-Apr-13 21:16:03

there are always grad jobs in loads of different companies, does your uni have any advice? the guardian usually has a section for grads

messybedhead Fri 05-Apr-13 21:12:58

Volunteer in primary schools and apply through clearing.

MimmeeBack Fri 05-Apr-13 21:10:10

Well that's the thing, I want to work with children. I wanted to be a primary school teacher, but I don't know how I'm going to afford that or if it's worth the cost to become qualified any more.

All other child-related jobs seem to require a childcare qualification which I can't afford to get due to the childcare costs that I would have to pay.

I think I have just convinced myself that I can't do anything from this, so can't see a way out. I know people manage to get their qualifications and training all the time, even as single parents, but I don't understand how they manage. I am struggling enough even with a big chunk of childcare covered by Student Finance.

HollyGoHeavily Fri 05-Apr-13 21:04:10

What sort of career do you have in mind? International Politics is one of those degrees where you can talk up different aspects to appeal to different types of recruiters... I have two friends who did this degree one is a diplomat in the USA and the other joined the army and has some sort of job as an analyst (not i guess the types of careers that are easy with a small baby though i guess)...

MimmeeBack Fri 05-Apr-13 21:00:00

It wasn't such a big deal when I chose it and I was just a student, then I became a mother and suddenly I have to actually have a future plan. I'm terrified.

MimmeeBack Fri 05-Apr-13 20:53:27

International Studies (politics).
I don't even know why I chose it..it has been interesting, but really seems incredibly useless now.

HollyGoHeavily Fri 05-Apr-13 20:51:34

What is your degree subject?

MimmeeBack Fri 05-Apr-13 20:50:28

I've had a shit 3 years trying to get through my degree alongside a horrible pregnancy, a relationship breakdown & being a single parent to my DD (nearly 2 now).

I have worked so bloody hard, and may scrape a 2:1 but probably not.

But once I've graduated I'm not qualified to do anything, my degree is not useful. I have been unable to get onto the PGCE courses I applied for due to lack of experience, and now not sure I should bother after reading about how crap a time teachers are having at the moment (when I started my degree, the plan was to do the PGCE through a school afterwards but that route is no longer available now it seems).

So basically, all I end up with as a hell of a lot of debt.

I feel utterly miserable, it makes me cry and I don't have a clue what to do.

Anyone else feel or felt like this? sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now