Social Work - interview tips

(8 Posts)
purple15 Tue 02-Apr-13 14:25:29

I have got an interview for the Ba in Social Work. Any tips on the interview would be greatly appreciated.

If I am successful, what is the workload like whilst studying. IS it no television at all.

wisemanscamel Wed 03-Apr-13 19:07:41

I think for the interview, it is not so much what you know, like laws etc, but your general attitude, so they will want you to demonstrate that you don't make assumptions about people and listen to their point of view. Also, that you will seek the views of children and absent partners for example and try to think of community-based solutions to problems.

Also that you recognize that your views are always biased, so for example, you may be a white, middle-class woman, and your views are influenced by this. That not everyone will share your value-base.

I was asked how I relaxed and coped with stress.

I found first year lovely, second year do-able, third year (nearly finished) complete nightmare! This is with 2dcs, now 9 and 11.

Good luck!

purple15 Wed 03-Apr-13 20:02:51

Wisecamel. Are you in the job now ? Which area ? What hours do you work ? What is a typical day, or are all days different ?

wisemanscamel Sat 06-Apr-13 09:12:24

Hi Purple - I am at the end of the final year - it can't come quick enough.
I have 4 days left of 100 day placement in children's services and the hours have been 8.30 - 5.30pm, sometimes later when it's a day to cover the duty phones. Everyone in the team is working these or more hours, taking paperwork home etc etc so they're not taking advantage.

It is very very interesting work - I am in a team working court cases and child protection cases. The team are fabulous, pull together and help each other. However, the work can be very draining, I have found.

I have found paying afterschool / before school childcare on no salary very hard. DH works away and is only around at weekends and my family live too far away to help out. Also, after a day at work, I then have to start uni work as the deadlines are very tight.

It's been very very hard and I really hope it will have been worth it!

Good Luck with your interview! (The final year is no TV at all)

katedan Sat 06-Apr-13 15:24:34

I am just finishing my first year and my interview last year was just about my previous experience and why I wanted to study social work. I had to write a timed essay about dementia care and that was it. I understand at my uni they are doing lots of group exercises this year to see how people interact with each other. I have the first year OK and start my 6 week placement on Monday which will be scary with balancing childcare. The work has come in groups so the end of each term is manic but the rest of the term OK workwise. As wisemanscamel said I thin years 2 and 3 will be a lot harder!!

purple15 Sat 06-Apr-13 16:21:04

Hi Ive had a lot of health problems. It has been a major journey back to health.

In my head I can do it, but in reality will I physically be able to work from 8.30 till 5.30 then do an assignment.

But life is too short, and social work is something I really really want to do, and If I dont try, when Iam retiring and looking back on my life, will I regret not giving it a go!

purple15 Sat 06-Apr-13 16:28:31

Good luck wiseowl on your last 4 days of placement. Hopefully this will free up a bit of time to concentrate on uni work.

wisemanscamel Sat 06-Apr-13 20:27:31

Thank you - just wanted to say don't be afraid to talk about your health and your experience of being a user of health services, or social services and what you valued from the helpful people that you worked with and what you found disempowering from the less good ones. This could be something that sets you apart from some of the other potential students and you could use it to your advantage, if you are also able to show how you have prepared for the work fo the degree with your health in mind.

Give it a go - you can always turn down any offer they make, if you decide it's not for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now