Reassure me!

(4 Posts)
ComeOnBeANoOne Tue 26-Mar-13 20:32:40

letsgetreadytorumble wow you have put my problems into perspective. I hope you're on track, I can only imagine the day you've had!

dotty2 thank you for the tips! I have always been the type who refused to do work unless I had a couple of hours to focus, but perhaps now it's finally time to change tack, especially as having DD (2) is currently not sleeping great when I have her (recent separation). If nothing else, I no longer feel like I'm suffering alone

dotty2 Tue 26-Mar-13 13:02:03

Of course it can be done. Start by thinking about what it is you want to say. That's the important bit: get that right and the words will follow. It doesn't help to think of the word count as a bucket you have to keep filling up.

letsgetreadytorumble has good advice about working in short bursts. I am using a kitchen timer today set for 25 minutes. Absolutely commit to work for that long at a time - no checking emails, no making tea. Then get up and do something else for a bit and then repeat. It really helps.

I have been reading 'Bird by Bird' by Ann Lamott. It's a book about writing, mostly aimed at fiction writers but there's lots that's useful for students too. She talks about using a one inch picture frame (in your head) to peer really closely at something small and then work out from there. She also advises you to write a shitty first draft and not care about how shitty it is - you can go back and improve it later. I am plugging away at mine and feeling quite encouraged. Good luck!

letsgetreadytorumble Tue 26-Mar-13 09:54:49

I don't know about reassuring you - I can make you feel quite smug - and give you a sense of having lots of time to write 7000

I have to write 3000 words - TODAY grin

I am just going to do an hour now and then reward time coffee and biscuit - then another hour - will then go for quick walk (just 20 mins or so - fresh air and exercise keeps brain going). I will then repeat the coffee and biscuit routine regularly throughout the day. I have to pick children up at 330 but then they have gymnastics so I will take my laptop and there is a room where parents sit and chat while waiting. I will ignore those parents and do a bit of work.

Home for feeding time - baths - bed. They will be in bed early tonight - I am aiming for stories and tucked in by 8. I will then begin the night shift and will continue until it is finished. I will have more coffee and biscuits - well I will probably have moved onto cake by then.

It has to be handed in tomorrow morning because I have to work in the afternoon.

It can be done.

Now then - do you feel better??

ComeOnBeANoOne Mon 25-Mar-13 22:44:41

Hello, new on this and only in fact a student for another 7 weeks or so... BUT... 7000 words in four weeks!!!

Reassure me with your own tales of astonishing last-minute essay writing feats!

sets alarm for 6.15 to pick up DD in morning. Weeps gently into coffee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now