Unknown

(4 Posts)
Indith Wed 20-Mar-13 19:38:28

Tricky. You have lots of options though. Sounds like you could do with a good chat with your welfare people. Do you have support around you (baby's dad? are you studying close to family or living away?)

I had my first in the January of what would have been final year. I went part time so I did 2 modules that year, going to classes right until I gave birth and returning to classes when the baby was 10 days old. Because I just had 2 modules I didn't use childcare, just left him with his dad for an hour or got a friend to take him for a walk. Then he was around 9 months when I started final year part 2 doing my remaining 4 modules and he went to nursery. I liked it because I kept my hand in. I was worried taking a year out I'd forget too much.

Other people I know/know of where I went to uni have managed in different ways. A girl was due in May so studied to nearly the end of the year but took the exams in the september resit period instead. Or people dropped out and used the credits they had towards completing an OU degree. I think it depends on how much you love your degree and need it for your future career. I f you really, really need this degree the I'd probably go part time if you can and finish it but if you just want to finish a degree then defer for a year which leaves your options open to return and finish it or to take your credits and go elsewhere.

MrsHoarder Wed 20-Mar-13 19:33:38

Hope week you pay for childcare if you defer? And studying with a baby isn't easy. It can be done, but its a lot easier if you only have to worry about yourself.

Have you spoken to a tutor about deferring? Best if you can find a sympathetic one who has children

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 20-Mar-13 19:19:12

That is tricky. If you defer, would you be able to get childcare to return to the course a year later?
Would going part time this year be possible? Would that help? Although you'd still have half the year to complete later it may be easier. But it also depends on the course structure - you don't want to be examined on things you learnt this year in two years time!

NatsMarie Tue 19-Mar-13 16:13:49

This is my first time on here and I really need some help. I found out in January I was pregnant so I got my exams deferred to May I am not due till 13th September but it is my final year and I don't know if I should continue on or take a year out. Iv missed so much this semester due to appointments and other stuff as I having a tough pregnancy and I feel like my tutors are on my back as they think I'm not putting in the effort even though they know my circumstances. Also as Itl be my final year I will only be able to spend 3 weeks tops after the birth with my baby before iv to leave for uni. What do u guys think I should do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now