really struggling, my tutor's going to kill me, think I'm failing

(10 Posts)
IneedAgoldenNickname Mon 18-Mar-13 18:53:30

sad ok one thing at a time, so.
I'm a single Mum, studying access to nursing at college. I don't have a computer at home, as mine broke and I can't afford to get it fixed. I have an assignment due in tomorrow, and an interview at uni tomorrow. Due to lack of computer, I wasn't able to finish my assignment this weekend, so insured of going to class today I used a friends computer to finish and email of my work. I put a message on our class fb group, telling the others I would be in the library (this was my plan originally) and that I may or may not see them for lunch. One of them replied saying our tutor was coming to find me. I assume because I wasn't in lesson. Obviously she couldn't find me, as I wasn't there, but now I'm worried I'll be in masses of trouble sad

I know that cutting class wasn't the best idea, but it was the only way I could get my work done. I'm really worried! Stupid I know.

I'm also convinced I'm not going to pass my interview tomorrow. I just want to curl up and sleep.

I don't know what I want anyone to say really, I just feel so overwhelmed sad

PhyllisDoris Mon 18-Mar-13 18:55:37

It would have been much easier to go and see him and explain the situation and ask for an extension. I'm sure he would have been supportive.

IneedAgoldenNickname Mon 18-Mar-13 18:56:54

Your probably right, the assignment I was working on is for a different subject if that makes any difference?

LeChatRouge Mon 18-Mar-13 19:06:29

Some questions, sorry if a bit tough......

Do you really really really want to do the Nursing Degree? You will have lots of tough assignments, exams and need to be available for hospital shifts, is this really possible with your family?

How did you get in the position of leaving the assignment until the day it was due in? Could you not have worked on it in the library last week? Or borrowed the friend's computer over the weekend?

Your tutor will not be angry, just disappointed that you couldn't discuss with him/her your situation. Tutors are there to help you out and guide you along, if you really want to succeed in this profession, you need to be very organised, honest and keen.

I wish you luck in your interview, trust me, it's a tough, but rewarding course. Be honest to yourself, is this the right time for you to take this step?

IneedAgoldenNickname Mon 18-Mar-13 19:24:40

Yes our I'd what I really want. I already have childcare in place for when I'm at uni. I didn't leave the whole assignment until the day before, just had to finish typing it up, and adding in the changes from the email my tutor sent on Fri afternoon.

LadyWidmerpool Mon 18-Mar-13 19:36:06

LeChat have you never left something till the last minute?

OP, uni tutors are used to students missing classes for all sorts of reasons! I really doubt you'll be 'in trouble', you aren't a schoolgirl. Part of being at uni is being responsible for your own learning and sometimes that involves getting things wrong. Next time you'll have better luck and will be better prepared. Now time to perk up and think about your interview. Try some positive visualisation - imagine walking out feeling great. What did you say? What impression did you give? Don't let yourself down by wasting time moping, take a deep breath and focus on the task at hand. Good luck tomorrow.

IneedAgoldenNickname Mon 18-Mar-13 19:44:12

Thanks lady once the kids are asleep I'm going to have a hot bath, and a glass of wine smile

Positive thinking, I CAN do this! Even if I don't get in this year, I'll try again next!

LadyWidmerpool Mon 18-Mar-13 20:12:30

Cheers! wine

MrsHoarder Tue 19-Mar-13 11:55:40

Have you seen your tutor yet? Its worth dropping in when you have 5 minutes to just talk over what your issues are and if the department can hinder help you.

IneedAgoldenNickname Tue 19-Mar-13 19:50:59

No I don't have her lesson again until Monday, and am off college until Thursday now, but might try and find her this week and apologise. I'm feeling a lot calmer now, I was a bit panicky yesterday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now