Organising study space when you have no space!

(8 Posts)
vvviola Tue 12-Mar-13 00:37:06

I'm doing a politics related Masters semi-part time (2 courses this semester, 3 next semester plus dissertation due in November). Last semester was relatively easy as there wasn't a lot of reading etc & most of my resources were online.

But now I know I'm going to struggle without having a permanent desk (I tend to spread things out when I study). DH has an office, but there isn't really room for an additional desk - plus he works from home a lot & funny hours so we'd be getting in each others way a lot.

So I'm stuck with the dining room table. Which means everything will have to be put away as soon as I stop each study session.

How do people deal with not having a dedicated study space? I'm afraid I won't be able to keep track of stuff, and spend more time getting set up than actually focusing on study.

Any suggestions? Or do I just kick DH out of his office until November? wink

beansmum Tue 12-Mar-13 00:48:44

I have a box (a cardboard one, but a plastic one would be better) that I pile everything into when I need to clear the dining table. If I take a bit of time to put it all away neatly it only takes a minute to find what I need and get it out again. I have a lot of books/papers/random crap - I'm doing a law degree full time and taking 5 papers this semester - but packing/unpacking is really no bother at all.

I do actually have a desk in my bedroom but I never ever use it - it's too quiet and lonely. And cold in winter.

TinyDiamond Tue 12-Mar-13 09:48:51

I also use the dining table! needs must and all that. you get used to it after a while

dotty2 Tue 12-Mar-13 12:28:19

We do have a study, but all share it and I struggle with this, tbh. My top tip would be to plan to finish work 10 minutes before you need to, so that you can spend that 10 minutes putting things away so you can find them, in a box or on a designated shelf/drawer or whatever - and not end up with a pile of papers scattered on the floor, as I currently have.

MissMogwi Tue 12-Mar-13 13:03:59

I use the dining table too. I can spread all my books, notes and snacks out.

I've just bought a lovely unit which has lots of space for my things, yet I still file it on the floor at meal times.blush

webwiz Tue 12-Mar-13 17:52:00

I use the kitchen table and I keep my files in another room with very big labels on them so I can see instantly what is in them. I am trying very hard to keep things filed and organised so that I don't lose track of what I've already done.

I do pile stuff up on the floor (or shove it to the end of the table) when the table is needed so I quite like the box idea mentioned further up the thread.

SwedishEdith Tue 12-Mar-13 20:58:44

Dining table as well when writing at night. Bedroom at weekends. Really have nowhere that is separate, quiet and suitable.

vvviola Wed 13-Mar-13 10:30:13

Thanks for all the suggestions - I suspect I will implement a few of them as I will still do a lot of study at the dining room table.... But...

I went into a bit of a panic when I got home the other days and may have ranted to DH about how I need some study space and somewhere to keep my papers. It seems he'd been thinking about it too. So we are going to clear out half of the walk in wardrobe. It's not huge, but there's enough space for a desk & there's loads of shelving space.

So, even if I do lots of my reading downstairs, I will have my own desk and filing area. The plan is to have it all set up by the weekend grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now