Anyone else done Preparing to teach in the life long learning sector?

(11 Posts)
Movingforward123 Wed 06-Mar-13 09:55:26

I am starting it soon and woulod like to know if anyone else has done it and how they have found it so far?

I have been told by the tutor that its very intense as we wilol be completing a level 4 qualification with around 12 weeks.

And i have been tolod that I will have to read and research for around 3-4 hours per week.

I havnt done any academic studying for years, but I have recently completed an NVQ level 3.

Any tips welcome smile

TinyDiamond Sat 09-Mar-13 23:02:22

I haven't but am planning to next year so would also like to hear from anyone

Waitingaround Sat 09-Mar-13 23:12:10

Did this about 4 years ago, it was quite straight forward, basically some essays to write, linking theory to what you do in practice/at work. I found that if you are structured and organised, it becomes easy.

TinyDiamond Sat 09-Mar-13 23:25:22

what if you are not currently teaching adults? difficult to write the essays?

Waitingaround Sun 10-Mar-13 18:54:27

Would be fine I would think, you could use your experience helping colleagues:mentoring others in your place of work. After all the course is is preparing to teach... I don't remember it being very difficult, I've still got my folder/essays so will have a look tomorrow if you want.

Movingforward123 Sun 10-Mar-13 20:04:02

Waiting - are you Teaching at the moment? And if you don't mind me asking what other qualifications do you have?

I'm not teaching yet but I'm hoping to teach after this, I have got loads of work experience in the field I want to teach and a level 3 qualification.

I am also thinking about assessing nvq's too.

TinyDiamond Mon 11-Mar-13 08:10:43

I currently work in secondary but want to do the course in preparation for applying for Phd during some time off as I feel it will add to my application and prepare me better for lecturing than schools will

Waitingaround Mon 11-Mar-13 09:00:42

Hi, not a formal teaching role but look after/mentor/teach students and staff in my workplace/the NHS.I have a BSc and am currently in 1st year of a part time Masters within my field. I undertook preparing to teach and then the certificate to help with my teaching role at work.

TinyDiamond Mon 11-Mar-13 09:41:16

What would you say the overall time commitment per week is? Here the courses are over 16 weeks rather than 12

Waitingaround Mon 11-Mar-13 11:26:55

Think I did a few hours every week, I was very organised though and made this time count.

TinyDiamond Tue 12-Mar-13 09:50:59

well I will have just finished an ou degree studying it full time so I know I have the discipline. I'm just wondering if I will have the time to take on other stuff as well. it looks like I will. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now