Childcare funding/help & PhD student

(3 Posts)
ButteryJam Mon 04-Mar-13 14:03:43

Hi,

I'm a PhD student expecting a baby, and planning for future childcare. DH works and I'm on a research council fund. I've also been offered 5 hours per week work at the university (ill be paid as a temp) from April on wards (if I take it of course)..

I'm trying to work out whether ill be eligible for any help/funds/benefits, especially to help with the childcare? DH earns around 40K, but our living costs are so high (the south!)

Anyone in a similar situation? It looks like the childcare grant is only for undergrads sadly sad and I'm not sure if we'd qualify for other benefits/help.

Thanks!

dotty2 Mon 04-Mar-13 16:47:49

Hi Buttery - congratulations on your pregnancy, and I hope all is going well with your research. I'm a third year AHRC funded student. I'm sorry I can't help at all with your childcare costs question - no longer an issue for me, as mine are both at school. But I just wanted to alert you to the PhD students support thread - it's a bit inactive at the moment, but it might be worth posting there. There are quite a lot of us on it, so someone should be able to help. We're obviously all just working too hard on our PhDs to post very often!

ButteryJam Mon 04-Mar-13 18:41:37

Thanks dotty! Will post there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now