Midwifery - Starting From College, Access Course, Experiences?

(3 Posts)
AbbyH Thu 21-Feb-13 10:48:33

Hi when my daughter is in school Im wanting to go back to college to do an access course (unsure on best topic to get accepted at uni? Help?) I want to go to uni to study midwifery. I will have to start from scratch as my GSCE grades wernt the best! hmm I just want to hear some of your experiences with getting into uni to study midwifery, how hard did you find it to get in with a access course? What access course did you take? Any info would be a great help. Xx

HolidayArmadillo Thu 21-Feb-13 10:53:46

You need to identify the universities that you can apply to and speak to their midwifery admissions tutors. Each uni will have different criteria, increasingly for midwifery 'care' experience is required, or something that shows you understand the demands of midwifery and that it isn't just cuddling babies all day. Once you have spoken to the individual universities you can make a decision on what is best to study but a good grounding in English, maths and science (especially Biology) will be essential. Good luck. I'm glad I never have to do it again!

jen6jen Sat 23-Feb-13 11:06:53

Hi I'm six months into an access to health professionals course because I want to go into children's nursing. Apart from my children it's the best thing I've ever done. I've been offered a place at university for sept start. I believe midwifery is more difficult to get into because there are less places at uni and more applicants but if its what u really want to do u should go for it. The access is intense, especially if u have to re do maths and English GCSE but I have a 2 year old and have managed so it can definitely be done :-) good luck. Jen xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now